All my saws chains go loose on every tank, no matter what I do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff. Not dull chains/not pushing on them.
TONs of slack, as in, 3/4", as in, falling off loose.
Cannot adjust the tensioner screw once the bar nuts are tight.

Has to be I'm running out of oil...

Another thing to look out for is dirt causing a gap between the barn/bar plates/case/cover. It s sandwich construction with a lot of seams, and if anything causes a gap there then some of the oil can just drip out rather than going into the bar groove. Then it can run down the bar, hit the chain on the bottom/return and get flung off into the clutch cover. It looks like there's a lot of oil but it isn't going where or doing what it's supposed to.

Husky saws, typical chain cover system...and yes, I always clear my bar groove and oiler hole...learned that long ago.

Let's hold off on more posts until I can check the oil rate. I gotta believe it's running out. What I can do is watch closely for when it starts to sag and stop and check the oil level.
Have to say it's one of those things-you cut and cut and refuel/oil and keep cutting, so I don't keep track of what % of the time it happens, but it does seem to be a lot and I just deal with it...but, like anything thats not rght, you have to dig into it...

In that case the bar must have moved - or the chain got longer.
If the bar is tightened without lifting its tip, the tip may move up during operation loosening the chain. In this case the tip will fall when the bar nuts are loosened. There is a certain amount of up/down play bewteen bar and mount.

Are the bar nuts loosening or falling off? Is it possible you have too much oil on the studs which then allows the bar nuts to work lose with vibration?

So utterly sick of this...all my saws are nicely matching oil output with gas use...Today it was just a joke...I could put my hand between the bar and chain. Insanity. I'd like to think an aftermarket chain guard is the cause but I just cant see it...they are identical to OEM, or so close, there's just nothing I can see that would cause this. And I've used all sorts of oil, including Husky, but I do say I've used mostly non-Husky lately...maybe that's the test-get some genuine Husky oil...that's a simple isolation test I'll do asap.

SO, here's a question...say I cut for 15 mins in hardwood. How hot is the bar going to be? I notice very hot bars. SO now I'm wondering if I should use only Husky oil.

So utterly sick of this...all my saws are nicely matching oil output with gas use...Today it was just a joke...I could put my hand between the bar and chain. Insanity. I'd like to think an aftermarket chain guard is the cause but I just cant see it...they are identical to OEM, or so close, there's just nothing I can see that would cause this. And I've used all sorts of oil, including Husky, but I do say I've used mostly non-Husky lately...maybe that's the test-get some genuine Husky oil...that's a simple isolation test I'll do asap.

SO, here's a question...say I cut for 15 mins in hardwood. How hot is the bar going to be? I notice very hot bars. SO now I'm wondering if I should use only Husky oil.

Saw chain is designed for cross-cutting green wood. Doing that with sharp chain, bar/chain should not get too hot to touch.

We've established that your saw(s) are using b&c oil at a reasonable rate, but NOT that the oil is getting to the chain. After running the saw at fast idle for 10 sec you should see oil spray off the tip. Then shut it off and check under the clutch cover for oil bypassing the bar groove. Is it possible that you're running bar(s) whose oil holes don't match the discharge on the saw?

Chances are just about 0% that it's your brand of oil. Maybe you need to have someone else cut with your saws and see if they have the issue too? I think it's an operator issue and nothing to do with the saw...
I'll be in Grand Rapids next week. If you want me to take a look at what you have, I can do that. (I'll be sleeping in Grandville close to the Rivertown Crossings mall)

I generally use esso and husky bar oil. No problems with either. I'm sorry, I just read the thread and you've answered and re-answered every question, and keep getting the same questions. I notice the bar gets warm like uncomfortable to touch for long. However it doesn't burn me and I can easily handle it with gloves after a half tank of straight use.
Once you check that your not running dry. If it's not that then you need to try a different chain and a different bar because it seems you've checked everything else.

Been in your situation before, but it was only with one saw. All the basics were correct, i.e. clean, correct bar, holding tip up, seasoned chain, and oiling very nicely. Scratched my head asked for second, third and fourth opinions, no joy. Stuck a shorter bar on and voila, no more issue. It is tough to imagine over-barring a 394 though. Best of luck, let us know huh?

Back