All sorts of bad luck today...darn it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blis said:
Or the handle would snap on first swing :hmm3grin2orange:

I stopped using Axes when I lost the head off one.

Aint one bit of fun to swing UP, fell the tick as the head flys off, then look up and see it coming down.:dizzy:

As I said before, I dont like heavy saws.

The Husky 395xp was nice, and it ran well, but with a 3-4 foot bar on it, I couldnt accurately judge it's balance or weight.

The Stihl 066 was nice, but with (as I recall its been a while) a 24" bar, it was weighty, and I had trouble using it up high, and bent over using it.

I feel confident that if I used all my saws regularly, they wouldnt give me any trouble. Except the MAC 160s, that thing is a POS.:taped:

The Gas tank problem on the XL was my fault, I tried to jerry rig it up to work, and it did, for a while. That saw always cranks right up (when it has gas in it)

The MAC 4618 worked fine before, always cranked right up, Idles really nice, great power, but the Rubber boot is split (I confirmed it tonight) and its leakign air.

It's also worth repeating that with all the saws Ive got, Ive got probably $150 invested in them.

XL was a prize
Tanaka was free, New bar was free, Paid for the Chain
Poulan 2300 I paid like 20 bucks for at a yard sale, and Ive used it quite a bit.
Poulan Wild Thing- 35 dollars, New with Case, and 2 original chains, unused.
WIZARD BO-13- Free
Poulan 306A- Free
Poulan XXV- Free
MacCulloch MAC 160S- Free
McCulloch TimberBear- $75 with new bar/chain and Scabbard
McCulloch PM610- Free

And they've all done work at some time or another, except the Poulan 306A, no muffler - too freakin loud.

If someone gave me a Husky, or a Stihl, Id proabably keep it, but seeing as the only wood Ive got is little logs for the fireplace, There is no need to go buy a $400- $1000 Saw, that wont be used.

The only reason Ive got what I do, is I like working on them, and we live in a wooded neighborhood, so there is usually somebody needing help cutting something up.

RED-85-Z51 said:
The only reason Ive got what I do, is I like working on them

You might like working on them, but it sounds like you need to work on actually fixing them. The round pegs don't always go in the square peg!

I bet you liked talking things apart as a kid, yet never could figure out how to put them back together correctly? :laugh:

Maybe if you sold all your "free or no money invested projects" you could buy a good 3-400 RELIABLE saw.

I wouldn't be impressed with a saw if I was used to them not running either!

We need Red's saws to counter balance Thall's "mantlepiece collection!" - keeps the axis of rotation for the planet correct...

RED-85-Z51 said:
I got bored so I pulled out some of the saws to cut some of our wood down to a better size for the fireplace.

If you'll recall, I had all my saws running a couple months ago when we had a Hurrican headed our way..

Well I pulled em out of the shed and gave em a once over.

Pulled the rope on the MAC 160S...nothing. No spark

So I pulled out the Poulan XXV...pulled the rope and Pop..rope broke.

Pulled out the Tanaka, pulled the rope some 10 times, and it finally started and ran okay. Took it over to the wood and it cut terrible. It barely threw out dust. I checked and the chain was on right, but it was so dull.
Thing is, that was a new chain. I now remember trying to cut a root at my cousins house a while back..I guess thats all it took.

Went for the Homelite XL, put some gas in it...sure enough the gas tank I fixed dumped gas out everywhere.

MAde my way to the Timber Bear, and it cranked on the 3rd pull and ran fine, took it over to the pile and made my cuts, probably 25 minutes worth of cutting some logs in half.

Went back to the shed and pulled out the Poulan 2300av, pulled the rope and it started but wouldnt idle to save its life.

The Wizard is still waiting on a nice used Carb to replace the crappy one on it now.

The Poulan 306A is waiting on a muffler.

Bad day to be a saw in my posession I guess :dizzy:

Oh well, I guess I get to play with the saws tomorrow and see what I can get fixed.

Also, Ive still got the Echo CS-520 that I fixed for a customer but he decided not to pay after I fixed it. Ive called him, and left numerous messages, but he never cals back, Its been 0ver 2 months now.
And Ive got $135 just sitting there collectiong dust...and that makes me mad.

Tommy -

EDIT- Also, the Mac FR4618 decided that it wont Idle anymore after starting on the 1st pull. I suspect the rubber intake coupler is shot, after I tried to fix it. Oh well, thats the one I wanted to use too....

Sounds like you should have looked at the waether!
attachment.php

Too Bad Red

We had a bud years ago that had nothing positive (ever) to say about the world around him, his name was Ted and we all called him 'Too-Bad-Ted', there was really nothing anyone could say anymore to him. Please do not become him, you will become "Too bad Red". It is one thing to have bad luck, quite another to snivel about it, we have all have bad days/weeks/years, ppl get older die, things go side-ways, what-ever. Take it onna chin man..................and look after yer saws. (you would/shouldn't be having those sort of problems if yern paying attention).
My semi-chisel opine. :dizzy:

Hey Red, Good Luck with your saws. We all have our days.
Sounds like you don't sharpen your saws. Am I right ?
Next time you go to get your chains sharpened get your self a couple files.
So when you are waiting for a storm sit down an file away. Look at the way a new chain is and try to copy it.
Do you put stable in your gas or do you drain the gas out of your saws if in storage ? could help alot.

manual said:
Hey Red, Good Luck with your saws. We all have our days.
Sounds like you don't sharpen your saws. Am I right ?
Next time you go to get your chains sharpened get your self a couple files.
So when you are waiting for a storm sit down an file away. Look at the way a new chain is and try to copy it.
Do you put stable in your gas or do you drain the gas out of your saws if in storage ? could help alot.

I use Stabil in all my 2 cycle stuff.

I file my own chains on the smaller stuff, 16" and down. Its not that Im lazy, its just that its not something I enjoy doing. I had an inexpensive electric sharpener, but it never worked right, and for what I paid for it, I could have had 3-4 new quality chains, so I tossed it before I ruined too many chains.

I got a freind who has spools of pretty much every chain available, and he has different grits of wheels and different grinders...so I get him to sharpen the 18" and up chains. He does a better job in 5 minutes then Ive ever seen done with a File. He doesnt heat the teeth, and the edge lasts just as long as hand filed.

What Ill usually do is if I know Im not going to be using them for a while is Ill drain them all dry, then keep a can full of Gas/oil/Stabil just for the saws. A while is 6 months +, and I always leave gas in the TimberBear. Its too hard to pull to let it run out or drain it out.

Ive got an old Mantis Tiller that Hates my freakin guts. Ive rebuilt the carb, all new line and a new filter, fresh fuel, lots of compression, great spark...but it takes 20-30 pulls to start sometimes, and sometimes it wont start, while other times it will crank right up and runs great. I swear that little thing is possessed.

The reason I asked that you said you had a saw running but chain was dull.
Those puland are a had starting saw.
I droped a load off and the guy gave me two pulands the 38cc pro saw and a 42cc greensaw. the pro saw says it a 42cc on the tag.
Anyhoo I got the saw running, put it in the case when a friend came up last weekend to his cabin, I gave him the saws, He was so happy untill I tried starting the pro saw and it did not start. Grrrrrrrrr
I have a had hard times with saws with primers on them. sometimes I think they are the problem.

manual said:
The reason I asked that you said you had a saw running but chain was dull.
Those puland are a had starting saw.
I droped a load off and the guy gave me two pulands the 38cc pro saw and a 42cc greensaw. the pro saw says it a 42cc on the tag.
Anyhoo I got the saw running, put it in the case when a friend came up last weekend to his cabin, I gave him the saws, He was so happy untill I tried starting the pro saw and it did not start. Grrrrrrrrr
I have a had hard times with saws with primers on them. sometimes I think they are the problem.

I like my Wild Thing, crankd right up, 1-2 pulls every time.

The pro saws (yellow) do tend to start hard, I dont know why. I sometimes have a problem with the starter binding on the first pull or 2, then they dont seem to crank right up.

The Green saws seem to start easier, sometimes:jester:

Ive always had good luck with poulans, until just recently.

04Ultra-

Im about the last person on the face of the earth without a Digi-Cam.

Ive got a sweet car, lots of tractors, and a load of saws Id love to post pics of..but no camera, and this computer wont let me use my scanner, and now apparently the CD Rom Drive wont read discs.

I took pictures on a 35mm camera and had the pics loaded to a disc, I brought it home, slapped it in the drive, waited...waited..nothing. Tried to open the drive, and it locked the computer up. I had to use my knife to pry the drive door open because the computer wouldnt Load the OS with a disc in the drive.

But as soon as this computer dies, It will be replaced with something a little more user freindly.

And some advice...dont buy a "Customized" computer.:censored:

Car- 1985 Corvette
Tractors- 1962 Wheel Horse 702, 1993 WH 416-H, 1988 WH 310-8, 1989 JD 316, Cub Cadet 1200, Snapper RER's, 1967 JD 110H, Mitsubishi MT372 Diesel.

04ultra said:
Sorry man, I did not know you are so fond of those Pulands,
Tell you what, soon as the little woman gets back from Iowa I'll post pics.
She took the camera.

Get the proper parts and have a better day.

At least nobody told you to buy a Dolmar.

Hope you are having a better day today. Good luck.

Cheap saw story time!!

My first saw was a little crap plastic Mac 3214. It could barely pull that 14" bar and chain. 12" oak was a nightmare for it, and me. Would shut off numerous times in a large log, not even when I was pushing it. Anyway, the funny part-

Starting instructions said-
"Pump primer bulb 10 times"

It had this crappy primer system in which it would just dump gas in the engine. :D Pumping the primer bulb one time would flood it so gas would run out the muffler. 10 times would use up half the gas tank. The gas tank also had the dumbest fill spot- Directly under the brake handle. Such a pain to fill with gas, and had a tiny tank. Made the little 011 seem like a 044 compared to the Mcc.

[QUOTE Justsaws, At least nobody told you to buy a Dolmar. [/QUOTE]

Buy A Dolmar :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back