Allamerican logsplitter by Piqua Engineering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Zeigler

Reaction score
My logsplitter has a leak. I need to know how the big nut comes off on the front of the cylinder.:msp_wink:

All american logsplitter. Thanks for answering me so soon.

There are different kinds of cylinders; each with it's own disassembly method.

Put up some pics.

I cant seem to get the picture posted. I did take the cylinder to a hydraulic expert. Evidently the only one in our county. And it would cost me more than I can afford. But thanks so much for your help.

Is it a nut or two holes? If it's two holes they make a spanner, with pins in it, to remove them. Sometimes you can use a punch and a hammer or two punches stuck in the holes and a pry bar to turn them.
Most of the cost is in labor, you could probably buy the seals for around $50, get a tube of white lithium grease and a cheap O-ring pick set and do it yourself. It's not hard, and if you take pics of how the seals and backers go on before you take them off.

No holes

Is it a nut or two holes? If it's two holes they make a spanner, with pins in it, to remove them. Sometimes you can use a punch and a hammer or two punches stuck in the holes and a pry bar to turn them.
Most of the cost is in labor, you could probably buy the seals for around $50, get a tube of white lithium grease and a cheap O-ring pick set and do it yourself. It's not hard, and if you take pics of how the seals and backers go on before you take them off.

Definitely a nut with a slot behind it, running vertically. I understand, from the guy who looked at it, that in the slot is where I unclip the o ring to take them out. But I can't see anything in the slot to catch onto and the cylinder spins freely both ways

You haven't indicated what price the hyd. repair shop quoted. If it is the only one in the county, you can bet it is too high.

Call some tractor and heavy equipment dealers. They all do their own minor hydraulic repairs, and most will break down a cylinder without any problems.

You could always go to a different county, too.

Back