Replacement engine for Briggs & Stratton verticle engine for logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newcountrygirl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a replacement (comparable) engine to my Briggs & Stratton 126M02-1010-F1 engine. Because I’m new at this, and because Briggs & Stratton appears to not have a direct replacement for this engine any longer-I’m stumped. I’ve got a logsplitter waiting to work without an engine to power it. Can anyone help? Suggestions would be great! Thank you!

You might try harbor freight. I heard mostly good things about their predator line of engines.
There's 2 different verticle shaft engines they sell. Light flywheel and a heavy flywheel. I would think she needs to look for the heavy flywheel model.

There's 2 different verticle shaft engines they sell. Light flywheel and a heavy flywheel. I would think she needs to look for the heavy flywheel model.

I didn't realize that. You're probably right. I guess the light one is for a lawn mower with a blade to help act as a counter weight to start it. Is that correct?

I didn't realize that. You're probably right. I guess the light one is for a lawn mower with a blade to help act as a counter weight to start it. Is that correct?
Yes, from what I understand. Only reason I said something is they don't always stock both and the people don't know what is for what at the store.

Yes, from what I understand. Only reason I said something is they don't always stock both and the people don't know what is for what at the store.

That's good information to know. I probably wouldn't have thought about it if I was looking to buy one.

Thank you for all the info! I can’t seem to find a vertical shaft comparable engine with the same cc or Torque and they don’t have the same crankshaft size. 🤬

Is the Briggs engine completely beyond repair? What is the problem?

This company might have a short block for your engine that might fix it. Might be worth talking to them?

https://www.lawnmowerpros.com/small...t-blocks.asp?manufacturer=Briggs And Stratton
The main spec of that engine is, I believe, 190cc and an output shaft that is 7/8" x 3 -5/32". Searching on that shaft size I can see lots of engines that might be suitable. It's difficult to say whether they would fit on your splitter though.

Screenshot_20221016-190156.png

This company might have a short block for your engine that might fix it. Might be worth talking to them?

https://www.lawnmowerpros.com/small...t-blocks.asp?manufacturer=Briggs And Stratton
The main spec of that engine is, I believe, 190cc and an output shaft that is 7/8" x 3 -5/32". Searching on that shaft size I can see lots of engines that might be suitable. It's difficult to say whether they would fit on your splitter though.

View attachment 1024654
Beat me to it lol. Yeah loads of engines that can replace that engine. I wouldn't get too hung up on shaft size, thats just a new half of the love joy coupler away from solving your issue. It's also pretty standard to have to cut the end of the crankshaft off for replacement engines thats arnt specific built for an application. Had to do it with my Subaru on my splitter. 5 minuets with the grinder and was good as gold.

You are correct. Need the heavy flywheel. There are SOOOO many different brands and torque/crankshaft/cc variations that I’m quite a bit frustrated. Lol

Beat me to it lol. Yeah loads of engines that can replace that engine. I wouldn't get too hung up on shaft size, thats just a new half of the love joy coupler away from solving your issue. It's also pretty standard to have to cut the end of the crankshaft off for replacement engines thats arnt specific built for an application. Had to do it with my Subaru on my splitter. 5 minuets with the grinder and was good as gold.
Thank you! That’d be great if I knew what/how to do that! Lol

View attachment 1024654
The short block and it’s replacement is NLA. One of the bolt holes to the sump is dcrewed up and I can’t get a good seal. I WAS going to buy a replacement sump and the crankcase cover, but those together are about $250.00. And I didn’t want to spend that if I can get a brand new engine for a but more.

One of the bolt holes to the sump is dcrewed up

Please post a picture. This might be possible to repair. If it's a bolt holding the sump pan to the sump a helicoil might fix it. Or re-tapping the hole to the next size up.

Please post a picture. This might be possible to repair. If it's a bolt holding the sump pan to the sump a helicoil might fix it. Or re-tapping the hole to the next size up.
Will do! I tried a different fastener but when I put the engine on its side, it leaks oil out of it. I’ll post pics in about an hour. Thanks!

Back