Allow me to introduce myself...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of these replies and still no answer to what the super stands for on the 044. I honestly don't know or I would answer you.

Howdy nanuq. The main difference between a super and a magnum is displacment. A magnum has more cc's then a super.

Now on the 044 I'm not sure. I know a 038 goes like this
038 = 61.0 cc, 3.72 cu.in., 4.0 hp ;
038 Super = 66.8 cc, 4.07 cu.in., 4.4 hp ;
038 Magnum = 72.0 cc, 4.4 cu.in., 4.8 hp .
038 magnum 2 ?

Also there is thousands of hours of reading on AS. Just pick a topic and start searching.

Before you know it you will be buying every saw you see.

Also if you have a question and can't find exactly what your looking for for heaven's sake please ask. Don't let these fear mongers fool you into thinking that asking a common question is forbiden/looked down upon in here. Don't be afraid to ask.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhh (rubbing hands together) NOW we're getting somewhere. I see the progression from Standard to Super to Magnum, but mine has a tin placard riveted to the top, looks like it's from the factory, saying it's an 044 Super Magnum. I thought you could buy a Mag and add on a Super kit, but all appearances make me think it came that way out the chute. The plot thickens.

I've got a lot more cutting to do this afternoon, I'll try to remember to take some more pics to show what I mean.

Thanks for the help! I'll go do some searching.

pops21: "Before you know it you will be buying every saw you see."

I can't help noticing you have a Husq 55 ... is it for sale?

ARGH! THE SICKNESS BEGINS!!!

I can tell I've screwed the pooch here. Rats.

So does anyone else here use left-over engine "O" word for their bar lube?

(running and hiding and watching for Gary)

Yes - No - Yes

Welcome to the ArboristInsanitySite Nanuq...yer gonna have some fun here!

So...
Yes - Asking oil questions will get your pooch very seriously screwed.
No- Used engine oil does not make good bar lubricant...unless you have No Choice...Don't Do It.
Yes - Run and Hide. But Gary will find you. Be warned. The only thing worse is having a run-in with the Spacemule. :cheers:

Rats, now I'm getting jumpy waiting for the ominous tap on the shoulder... "Hi, I'm Gary" :jawdrop:

On a lighter note, last night I was bucking up some ancient sub-alpine spruce and my ever-patient daughter was helping me chuck the rounds. I could see her watching closely, so I stopped and began to sort of explain the dynamics of cutting, and the safety hazards. She wanted to try. There's my kiddo, she loves to work on her truck with me, and she's pretty much fearless. So I described how fast the 044 would cut her leg off if she slipped, made it as gruesome as possible, and she understood. I picked a couple small branches on the far side of the trunk and started it, then showed how you can basically idle and get through that stuff with little blips. I handed it to her and she did great! Very methodical and careful. So I lined her up on a couple cuts through the main trunk, and she just dug into it and cut like a champ.

I think I burst a couple buttons with pride, but now it occurs to me I have competition for who gets to cut, and who gets to tote.

:censored:

Smart kid.

Very Cool Nanuq!

More girls should have the opportunity to run chainsaws...but too many guys are too macho about it to ever teach and train. I taught my wife years ago and now she has her very own 200T, 260 Pro, and a 440 with a 460 jug and muffler mod...a real ripper. It's great to have a wife that LIKES and WANTS to go with you to the saw dealer...

:cheers:

Sorry nanuq the husky 55 is not for sale at the moment. Stick around and if I decide to sell it I will let you know.:clap:

I'll toss in another friendly hello, I miss Alaskan Amber and a little restuarant in North Pole called "Food Factory"... then head to "The Refinery" for a few more beers!

Eielson AFB, 95-97

Thanks Pops!

Not to worry though, since this morning I've already bought another Stihl 044, an 046, and an 088. You're right, this IS addicting!

( just kidding! :) )

A10, I hear ya! How about the old DQ in Gulkana? Best cheeseburgers in the state. You might be able to find Amber in PA... if you get a chance, pick up some of the Winter Ale with spruce tips in it. Sounds gnarly, but oh so nice.

Yes - No - Yes

Welcome to the ArboristInsanitySite Nanuq...yer gonna have some fun here!

So...
Yes - Asking oil questions will get your pooch very seriously screwed.
No- Used engine oil does not make good bar lubricant...unless you have No Choice...Don't Do It.
Yes - Run and Hide. But Gary will find you. Be warned. The only thing worse is having a run-in with the Spacemule. :cheers:

Gary ??? he's great man,,says what your thinking..even if he IS the AS ..........
the "mule" ?? ignore him and he eventually goes away :)
have fun here..

A10, I hear ya! How about the old DQ in Gulkana? Best cheeseburgers in the state. You might be able to find Amber in PA... if you get a chance, pick up some of the Winter Ale with spruce tips in it. Sounds gnarly, but oh so nice.

sorry, its not this far east, I already looked :(

I miss Alaska so much, I should never have left.

Good advice, much appreciated!

Thanks all, I'm heading home now to split what I cut the last two days. Hopefully I'll get that done tonight and I can drop a nice 40' white spruce that needs killin' ... and NOT hit the deck with it.

sorry, its not this far east, I already looked :(

I miss Alaska so much, I should never have left.

"You can take the boy out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of the boy"

Look around for a tasty little brew called Moss Bay Extra by my buddy Mike Hale. That, or almost anything by the Pike Place Brewery in Seattle.

Skäl!

Welcome to the insanity, it looks like you'll fit right in around here. Great site even better members...

Howdy gents, sorry I've been away a couple weeks. :confused:

It's been busy here in Alaska but having loads of fun. Especially the last couple weeks, the crews came through and cleared beneath the power lines up on my mountain. Bless their pea picken hearts, they cut the trees to 4' lengths, limbed them and left them lying. Guess who's been bringing home loads of 4' logs?

I finally decided I don't need my 32" Sugi bar anymore (smaller trees in Alaska) so I put on a sweet little 20" bar and she sure cuts nice, with crazy chain speed. And wow can I sharpen it in a hurry!

Anyway, I've got some 30" rounds of spruce to split, and you can imagine how tough they are. A 12" tree up here counts well over 100 growth rings, so these big boys are ancient, and they learned to stand up in the mountain winds. I've got about 1/3 split, with the biggest rounds still to go. :cry: Last night I was pounding on one with my big maul, it was maybe 12" diameter and I bet I hit it 20 times before the crack started through. It reminded me of an old poem: "Good timber doesn't grow with ease, the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees". Lord have mercy.

Later gents!

Looks like a 044 magnum. The super magnum sticker is a aftermarket deal a dealer in the Northwest put on his saws.super mag.jpg

Here's a photo showing who that dealer was :)

afbcb295b5832ef37d8633489025cd69.jpg

I purchased a 038 super with the same aftermarket tag. You need to clean the fan housing up and check for dirt on your cylinder so it doesn't overheat.

Latest posts

Back