Almost free wood or almost more free wood which is best ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolhawk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok which is best, I choose the tree service guy
1) A farmer contacted me and gave me maybe a 100 down ash and oak trees the county removed while cleaning the ditches , come get all you want, very nice allready down, 12-18 inches across.

Then in the same hr. a tree service contacted me and this is the deal he gave me , he has a dump trailer that will hold between 4-6 face cords , he wil cut to 18 inches , no splitting:mad: and deliver and dump for $40 a FULL LOAD and I get it all the good and the not so good 1st 3 loads were cotton wood with all the larger pieces quartered 2nd and 3rd load were maple and oak with locust and ash coming next week, so he says (very nice gut so far ) .
I chose the tree service deal , No wear on the saw or me !! no fuel , no chains , loading and unloading the trailer , I will get some picks when the pile gets bragging big, Let me know your thoughts,

Wow...sounds like you lucked out....2 good deals at once. You can't beat delivered wood and you can't beat a nice load of Ash. Personally I'd take both of them...but I been accused of being a wood 'ho. :greenchainsaw:

I would take it ALL...
That's just what I was thinking, why choose? Do both deals and just have the tree guy dump his loads off to the side. You can harvest the 100 trees or at least get them home in log form and then spend the summer splitting and stacking.

Hows tat saying go about a bird in the bush? Anyway I would do both. You never know when one or the other will stop. This summer I thought i had an endless supply of wood for the winter only to be shut off in January. Wish i had a good backup plan.:)

Get the saw out there and get those ash and Oaks cut, split, and stacked!!!

The tree service deal is sweet, but that Oak and Ash is gravy!

Besides, it's too much fun cutting and playing around with loud dangerous things.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What happened?

Hows tat saying go about a bird in the bush? Anyway I would do both. You never know when one or the other will stop. This summer I thought i had an endless supply of wood for the winter only to be shut off in January. Wish i had a good backup plan.:)

What happened that you got cut off?

I hope that doesn't happen to me! I've got 4 places that I've set up to get wood from. Today my FIL came over and we got some more wood into the basement.

Dan

What happened that you got cut off?

I hope that doesn't happen to me! I've got 4 places that I've set up to get wood from. Today my FIL came over and we got some more wood into the basement.

Dan

It was from a business. They had 4x4 timbers stacked all over. My friend and I started cutting with permission from dockworker. Then office guy caught wind of our doings and waited for my friend to show up and called cops on him. I need to talk to dockworker but havent had a chance to stop yet.:mad:

No wear on the saw or me !! no fuel , no chains , loading and unloading the trailer , I will get some picks when the pile gets bragging big, Let me know your thoughts,

Sorry but I call foul !
No one with 59 posts would ever claim that the opportunity to express his art form and fully appreciate the smell of a finely tuned cutting instrument in a open air environent, would be calling it wear and tear. that's just wrong. :greenchainsaw:

-1 for the "no wear".

I would take it ALL...

+1

:agree2:

Think about it, if you did the work on the first offer, it's like 4 of you working! While your getting the free wood, the other is being brought to you at the same time, but your back doesn't hurt at all!
I think that's called "working smarter"...
my .02:spam:

Will the tree service guy stack it by your door,load your stove as needed and clean the ashes?: A STEAL!
(I get $285 for hardwood split no delivery,AND NO OAK.)
Get off yer butt and grab as much of the farmers wood that you can get!
As far as the Cottonwood,( I use the watering hole name for the female gender
(LEE),as in UG-LEE.)
I will use it at night from about 8 pm till 11 pm(nobody knows cause its dark and their all inside) Then you put in the Hardwood.

ASH! Nothing like a piece of ASH!
Mark

Call me a wood snob but I'd rather do the cutting and hauling and have oak and ash than mess with cottonwood or unknown species, delivered or not.

Latest posts

Back