Almost that time of year again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little 90$ harbor freight generator is cheap insurance to have around . This year will be bad with heavy snow and you can expect ice storms. Last year there were multiple places I read about in the us that had a week with no power. Don't be caught unprepared
is there one that you would recommend?

the 90 dollar one hes talking about is just a little 2stroker. i bought one last year just to run my saltwater fishtank in the event of a power outage. theres way too much effort and money in that to get wiped out due to a power outage. i bought a killawatt meter so i can monitor the load as it only takes like 800 watts. i can run my whole fish tank, tv, sat dish gear, internet and router, and a light all off that little thing. it uses almost no fuel aswell. i want to get the big 8700 they sell so i can run my electric water heater in the event of a large outage.

the 90 dollar one hes talking about is just a little 2stroker. i bought one last year just to run my saltwater fishtank in the event of a power outage. theres way too much effort and money in that to get wiped out due to a power outage. i bought a killawatt meter so i can monitor the load as it only takes like 800 watts. i can run my whole fish tank, tv, sat dish gear, internet and router, and a light all off that little thing. it uses almost no fuel aswell. i want to get the big 8700 they sell so i can run my electric water heater in the event of a large outage.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks

You should be able to run the tundra with no power. Manually open the damper a little bit and stuff a pencil in it, the heat should rise. I have no problem running my Kuuma with no power. Although I have not run it Without power when its been below zero. But at 10* it keeps the house at 67 with no power.

You should be able to run the tundra with no power. Manually open the damper a little bit and stuff a pencil in it, the heat should rise. I have no problem running my Kuuma with no power. Although I have not run it Without power when its been below zero. But at 10* it keeps the house at 67 with no power.
my main issue is I have mine run into my LP furnace plenum and there is backdraft dampers installed so without the blower motor running the backdraft dampers wont open because they are butterfly dampers. Furnace would more than likely overheat.

South Central PA, I'm in shorts on the deck lol, but i did bring a quarter of a cord up tonight. Tomorrow I'll bring another until my wood table is full. Don't expect to burn until Halloween but I'm boycotting my electric baseboard this year so we will see how things go.

my main issue is I have mine run into my LP furnace plenum and there is backdraft dampers installed so without the blower motor running the backdraft dampers wont open because they are butterfly dampers. Furnace would more than likely overheat.
Power closed spring open on your Lp? Back draft should spring open or closed for the wood furnace to always have open ductwork when lp is not calling or powered.

The Weather guessers are calling for a cooler than normal fall (Sept. through Nov. ) in many parts of the US. We shall see. I do not plan on lighting up the OWB until November, but my plans could change. At present I will let the Mini split take the chill off in the morning or let the oil furnace fire up it the temps start to dip early this fall. If it gets too nippy before November I'll start the OWB. I will have to run the circulator pumps to it anyways if the temps drop below freezing for any prolonged period of time and I won't want oil heating all that water on a continuous basis. Once I start up the OWB I won't shut it down to late spring. Currently our temps in Central Pa are not dropping below the mid 50's at night.

Power closed spring open on your Lp? Back draft should spring open or closed for the wood furnace to always have open ductwork when lp is not calling or powered.
they are spring, but always closed until air pushes them open.

You need some powered then. Problem solved.
I never really thought about it until now. Probably should get that generator before I fire it up this year. I wonder if it would overheat with those backdraft dampers if the power did go out.

Yes it would. Mine is stand alone as I am wood only, but I oversized the ductwork and did radius fittings just for that reason. I am installing a furnace tie in this fall with spring open power closed dampers.

Yes it would. Mine is stand alone as I am wood only, but I oversized the ductwork and did radius fittings just for that reason. I am installing a furnace tie in this fall with spring open power closed dampers.
I guess I've never heard of the spring open power closed dampers.

I normally fire up the stove or stoves around Mid- November till April. The trees here too are losing their leaves and seeing deer earlier than normal.

Power open close, spring close power open, spring open power close, Any of the sort. Just get what your needs are. Not very expensive either.

Go to a hvac supply house and you can get the motor only, much cheaper

Latest posts

Back