Altec Chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an old one just like that once. It was a backup while the Vermeer 1250 was in the shop. What a POS! (my humble opinion) For $17K, there is NO WAY I would buy an old fashioned drum chipper! I wonder how much Morbark is getting for their 'new generation' drums with feed wheels?

That looks exactly like my first chipper. An Asplundh JEXY Chipmunk. Paid $8,000 for it in 1987, brand new. It was good for up to about 5 inch diameter, but it whipped you to death. I'd never go back to one like that.

Brian, I just bought a new Morbark Model 13 last Tuesday. 13" capacity drum style with auto-feed, 125 HP Perkins, electric brakes. $32K. Its sweet. Nice small chips and quieter than the Bandit disc chippers. My only complaint is the fuel consumption.

Yeah, the model 13 is awesome. The fuel consumption problem isnt even a morbark problem, its a perkins problem. Did the dealer say this is normal to have a high fuel usage through that machine?

Hey I still use one of those:blob2: :D I like it, we don't do alot of big removals mostly trimming, can eat branches as fast as you can feed it and nice chips! You do have to stand to the side and duck when feeding some branches like long deadwood, it will smack you a good one. Mine is probably around a 1975 or so:rolleyes: Me thinks I'm needing a little newer one:D Just rewelded the tray up last week.

Excessive fuel consumption

Darin,
I put in a call to the dealer regarding fuel use. He'll get back to me on Monday. Seems like we're using a tank a day. The Bandits were good for 3 or 4 days on one tank.

Treeman, good, if he doesnt find out much, go direct to the Perkins distributor. They will have more info than your Bandit dealer.

Todd, we used to call those the chuck and duck.:D I used to own one also. I think it was a 1972 Asplundh.

Just heard that anaolgy for it the other day:D Kind of hard to look cool when you're feeding that thing sometimes, I laugh at my guys all the time when I see them throw something at it and it doesn't even go in:laugh:

What is even worse when you shove your limb in and it shoots about 20 feet backwards. I wasnt making fun of the chipper when I started the post, I am just surprised that for 17,000 bucks somone would purchase one. I can see used like I am sure you and I did but, not new. You can get a decent Morbark, Vermeer, or Bandit for that price. Nuts. :D

Back