Alternating chain direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just installed the ignition module for this Husky 450 and was setting the idle on the carb I noticed that when the motor idles way down and the chain stops, it then reverses direction. When I stop the motor and restart, it reverses again.

I just installed the ignition module for this Husky 450 and was setting the idle on the carb I noticed that when the motor idles way down and the chain stops, it then reverses direction. When I stop the motor and restart, it reverses again.

A lot of snowmobiles can reverse direction at a push of a button. It slows the engine then advances the timing to backfire the motor, once running backwards it works just fine.

A lot of snowmobiles can reverse direction at a push of a button. It slows the engine then advances the timing to backfire the motor, once running backwards it works just fine.
Nailed it
I’ve seen this with two stroke bikes too, guy puts it in first and starts going backwards lol. Dead giveaway is how bad it runs
It is def a timing issue when it happens, yes two strokes are reversible engines!

Old AMF golf carts got reversed by shifting the polarity of the starters of the cranked it in reversed and then fired up in the engine ran backwards

At the golf course i worked at years ago, they had 2 stroke Yamaha carts that went in reverse the same way. I seem to recall they had two ignition coils. It was simpler and more reliable than a shifter.

Try removing the new ignition module, reinstalling and gapping it using a thick business card (laminated ones are the best).

Also a question: the saw itself looks extremely well kept. Is it low hours or did you just restore it to a smooth finish?

Put the chain on backwards, and wear safety! I imagine there will be a lot more sawdust coming back at you!

Back