Am I being picky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeeez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, the dealer was demonstrating the oil test (holding the saw tip down and looking for the oil line on the ground) at full throttle for like a minute...

Then I read in the manual that during the break in period I'm not supposed to run it at full throttle "off load".. whatever that means....

Should I be worried or get a life? :buttkick:

We usually demonstrate the oil test...if need be....on a saw that is well broken in and even then we dont hold it wide open. We will rev it or just hold it halfway.

....sigh......

it was like a minute total... he did it 3 separate times.....

I don't think there is anything wrong with the saw, I didn't smell burning or anything...

ohh well...

Well at the least you can remove the muffler and lookfor scoring. I doubt you'll find any but..................

Deez,
FWIW, I've held my saw full throttle no load a dozen times(over the past two years) or so when checking carb. My saw was broken in but I only held it WOT for 3-4 seconds. I waited a little in between if i needed to readjust. When I used the tach, it took like 6-7 seconds before the saw even got near peak rpm. Maybe that's why the Husky manual says to check by holding 10 seconds but no longer. I pulled my muffler & didn't see any unusual wear just a few horizontal lines. I read where a guy was comparing rpm's before & after mods & he held it full throttle no load for 10 seconds, letting it idle for a few seconds in between. He did it like 6 times with no reported problems.

somebody please lie to me and say that everything is alright! :monkey:

I have not had the greatest first experience with the whole chainsaw thing....

I'll let you all know how things turn out, BTW i did call the dealer about the $40 chain and they said to bring it back and that they would credit me the amount.

Before you believe this:

"Take his advice. I have yet to see him lead anyone the wrong way."

Just remember that this:

"somebody please lie to me and say that everything is alright!"

Came immediately before this:

"You most likely have nothing to worry about."

Dan Forsh said:
Before you believe this:

"Take his advice. I have yet to see him lead anyone the wrong way."

Just remember that this:

"somebody please lie to me and say that everything is alright!"

Came immediately before this:

"You most likely have nothing to worry about."

Dan's just spreading FUD...:hmm3grin2orange:

Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

Lakeside53 said:
Dan's just spreading FUD...:hmm3grin2orange:

Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt
A great man once said. "there's nothing to fear but fear itself."

Run it, You can't fix something if it's not broke.

Lakeside53 said:
You most likely have nothing to worry about.

Agreed, if it is new then you got your warranty. If a minute of WOT kills a new saw then the amount of dead new saws would be huge. Buy it, run it like you stole it and perform the maintenance. If you have to baby it then it is crap.

For what it's worth, I read a long detaild article yesterday about breaking in new engines...and it said to run them HARD for the first 20 minutes or so..to really wail on em, but do it under a load.

Ill hunt down the link...but they had pics and everything.

Latest posts

Back