Am I "chasing weak clutch springs"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my old 036. When I cut anything larger, say over 12" diameter, the saw seems to be bogging in the cut. The engine sounds good, and I could understand if I had the bar buried. I'm not forcing it.

I am having a hard time adjusting the idle, sometime the chain moves at idle, sometimes no.

And once in a great while, it will just die when I let off the trigger coming off of WOT, but only with the bigger stuff.

Am I getting warm, or should I be looking at something else? I have a good shop in the next town over, but after hanging out here, I'm finding myself enjoying doing more of the work myself. thanks

Sounds more like an air leak.Check your impulse line, fuel line, carb mounting screws, cylinder base screws.Other then that you may need to pressure test the saw.Clutch springs can make it hard to get the chain to stop at idle when they get weak,but weak springs won't cause it to bog in the cut.

You could also have some crud in the carb. creating the same problems.

Just be careful and don't use the saw till you get it figured out,you could fry it from a to lean run.

Not weak clutch springs... they pretty much only affect chain running at idle, and not idle stability etc.

What's your compression like?

Are your carb settings close to 1 Turn out? if not, and too rich, you may have compensated for an airleak.

Off the top of my head.. sounds like a minor air leak, probably a seal. Might be fuel hose cracked and sucking air.

One thing to remember is to keep it simple. Don't over complicate it.

Just check the simple stuff first, one at a time.

If you run into a problem that's what everyone (or most at least) is here for.

Thanks guys, this is fun but kind of frustrating because I need some tools.

I'll clean it up good and start looking for leaks. (I need an air compressor!)

I'm sure it's running rich, I tune by ear, and I'm using more gas than usual.

If I can't figure it out I'll take it in to Doug, he needs to eat too.

But if it's just a bad line, I'd like to do it myself. When I get some daylight, I'll report back.

When I suspect an air leak I'll start by checking the fuel line for cracks. Then the insulator block between the carb and the cylinder. Next I'll spray a little starting fluid near the crank seals. If it races the seals need replaced. With my Husky and Jonsered two tiny holes drilled into the seals allow you to carefully start a sheet rock screw into the holes. With two pliers prying the screws, the seals can be popped out and replaced. I've only done it once but it's quite easy. If the seals are good I'll put a carb kit.
A few years ago one of my saws would start and run for a minute, then stall. I drilled a small hole in the gas tank vent and that cured it. Once I knew the cause I replaced the vent.
Good luck.

If the chain wont stop yet it seems to be idleing down try cleaning behind the clutch drum. When crud gets in there the chain won't stop. Then if you let off in the cut or with the chain touching somthing it will stall. I had the same problem a while ago.

With the saw shut off how easy does the chain freewheel? It should turn real easy (if its not adjusted to tight) loosen the chain untill it just sags. If its draging then the cluch is full of crud.

It could still be an seal leak, but this is pretty easy to check and repair without special tools.

Well, at least I've got off my butt for preventive maintenance.

Cleaned a lot of crud out of the clutch, greased the dry bearings, put the correct spark plug in and tightened it down, scraped all the crud out of the muffler, cleaned the air filter, made a fresh gallon of mix, and swore I wouldn't loan my saw out to my Dad anymore or allow him and his buddies to "tune it up" for me anymore.

Then I tuned the carb (by ear) starting at 1 turn out.

It is running MUCH better, the only problem now is it will die sometimes coming off of WOT, and only when hot. It runs great when it is cold.

I looked everywhere I could to find a leak. The lines look good.

Still sound like an air leak somewhere? I think I've done what I can to my level of training. I'll be visiting the local Stihl dealer come payday. I'll just have to use one of the little peanut saws until it's fixed.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everybody.

Dies when hot is usually because your L mixture is slightly too rich. Try leaning out your L screw a tad or just turning up your LA screw until the chain almost runs.

Well, I didn't get a chance to try it on the 7th, but I tried it today.

Leaned out the L screw in small increments until the saw had trouble accelerating, then turned it back rich just enough to get good acceleration.

Turned the LA in enough that the chain creeps just a hair at idle, when it does idle.

When cutting, the saw runs and sounds great. Let off the gas, hot or cold, it just doesn't want to idle. The engine slows down almost to idle, then it dies out more often than not.

Your carb is likely in need of rebuild them. Don't go crazy blowing air though the ports -just slap a kit in and make sure the inlet valve seat is clean.

The other thing to look at is your intake boot - if it's soft it can colapse slightly when you increase vac with a closes throttle.

A worn piston skirt can also give similar symptoms.

I still think it's a "too rich" or maybe you do need better clutch springs. Try this - turn up your LA a little. Don't worry if the cahin runs - and see if it still quits at idle. If it does, then your idle speed is just too low, and replace your clutch springs.

I had the bar off again because my chain seemed to be wearing funny and saw I needed to replace the sprocket rim.

Had the clutch cover off again and cleaned another big wad of black grease out of there again. I swear, I think Dad and his well meaning cronies at the mill squirted grease in there from the big grease gun:dizzy:

Got it back together, and found a dead, dry, small maple to cut up since all the wood I have ready is for next year, but we've had good business at the roadside firewood stand with all the hunters driving by.

Guess what? I turned the LA up a little (actually more than a little). I'm back in business! I don't know if all the goop inside the saw had something to do with the chain moving at idle, but who cares?

Now the chain turns a few times after coming off of the start up/half choke position but stops after the first cut, sounds right at idle, and doesn't die out. I'll get it good and warm when I have time, but I declare the problem solved.

Thanks all who contributed, not to start a "cry me a river" story, but my family did have some unexpected medical bills this year, and being able to fix the saw myself and make a little cash from my firewood stand really means alot.:cheers:

I'm having problems with my old 036. When I cut anything larger, say over 12" diameter, the saw seems to be bogging in the cut. The engine sounds good, and I could understand if I had the bar buried. I'm not forcing it.

I am having a hard time adjusting the idle, sometime the chain moves at idle, sometimes no.

And once in a great while, it will just die when I let off the trigger coming off of WOT, but only with the bigger stuff.

Am I getting warm, or should I be looking at something else? I have a good shop in the next town over, but after hanging out here, I'm finding myself enjoying doing more of the work myself. thanks
I find this happens if you don't let the saw run a sec longer to clear the chips out of the bar when you pull from the cut, they'll grab the chain and stall the saw, just a thought, dunno if that makes sense at all, am sure I'll get an ear full on it tho :D Been off base before, this shouldn't hurt much :chainsaw:

:cheers:

Serge

I had the bar off again because my chain seemed to be wearing funny and saw I needed to replace the sprocket rim.

Had the clutch cover off again and cleaned another big wad of black grease out of there again. I swear, I think Dad and his well meaning cronies at the mill squirted grease in there from the big grease gun:dizzy:

Got it back together, and found a dead, dry, small maple to cut up since all the wood I have ready is for next year, but we've had good business at the roadside firewood stand with all the hunters driving by.

Guess what? I turned the LA up a little (actually more than a little). I'm back in business! I don't know if all the goop inside the saw had something to do with the chain moving at idle, but who cares?

Now the chain turns a few times after coming off of the start up/half choke position but stops after the first cut, sounds right at idle, and doesn't die out. I'll get it good and warm when I have time, but I declare the problem solved.

Thanks all who contributed, not to start a "cry me a river" story, but my family did have some unexpected medical bills this year, and being able to fix the saw myself and make a little cash from my firewood stand really means alot.:cheers:

cool!! Disregard my last post m8! *hangs head, but not as near to da floor as tomorrow*

:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

Serge (after 4 tries I spelt me name rite lol)

Latest posts

Back