Am I crazy??!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonhudd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am totally addicted to this forum. For some reason all I want to do is cut and split firewood. I don't know if its because its free heat for the house or if it is just another activity that gets me outside!!

I like to hand split. I've got some sweet gum cut and stacked just in case I feel like splitting something but don't really need to split anything. That way I can work on it for a good long while and only have to stack a piece or two.

Hello,
I feel the same way......I got a million others projects to work on, but I would rather be out cutting and splitting firewood. Matter of fact, that's what I'm going to do today !!!!!!! Good luck with your addiction !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

I am totally addicted to this forum. For some reason all I want to do is cut and split firewood. I don't know if its because its free heat for the house or if it is just another activity that gets me outside!!

You know it is bad when you set-up light plants so you can work longer hours during the winter.

Until he comes down with a case of CAD or starts looking at other firewooding toys like a skid steer or dump trailer.

I have CAD, FAD(firewood), and LSAD(log splitter). But I don't have a skid steer or dump trailer yet. God help me!!!!

But one thing we ALL have in common!!! A WARM HOME! :laugh::D:hmm3grin2orange::blob2:

You know it is bad when you set-up light plants so you can work longer hours during the winter.

I've been wondering what to do in order for me to split after work. I thought about driving the Jeep into the back yard to light it all up. I guess I could always run an extension cord and plug in a construction light! :msp_thumbup:

I have considered bringing a light plant home from work and doing an all nite splitting session instead of working during the heat of the day.

And to think my wife thinks I am crazy because people says our house looks like an airport with all the lights!!!

I also have a certified wood addiction. Wife calls it Paul Bunyan syndrome. Winters off work only fuels the fire....literally. :hmm3grin2orange:

I swear it feels like some kind of inate instinct or something, like a frickin' squirrel stashing nuts. The craziest thing for me is that I have had, and will have(again) but don't have a stove in the house. Heat the shop but that isn't much. Dead trees are a thing of beauty? Very sick indeed.

Recently got into cutting and splitting (by hand) firewood. My buddy got me into it a few weekends ago when I helped clear his property of some fallen trees. Been going at it ever since. Its a great workout and a good excuse to get out of the house. Got me a couple of Fiskars splitting axes (X25/X27) and now I'm vying for a Stihl Saw. We'll see where this new fad takes me. Hopefully it doesn't become an obsession like stock piling ammo has but it seems as though you can never have enough firewood.

Great site by the way, this is only my 2nd post but I've been reading the posts quite a bit and trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I'll try to contribute whenever I can.

Addition, or obsession... sort'a the same thing. Certain people, or personality types, are more prone to addictions and/or obsessions then others. Some allow their addictions and/or obsessions to control their lives (dunks, drug addicts, gamblers, and whatnot)... others choose to control them in a productive way. At one time in the past my addiction was narcotics, and it near destroyed me. I've since learned to turn addiction into obsessions of all sorts... firearms, family, politics... and, well yes firewood....... and I still like my beer and whiskey (within reason).

Never, ever, get concerned about an addiction and/or obsession if it keeps you sane, doesn't destroy your family (been there), doesn't degrade your health, or doesn't waste your finances (been there also)... you're either in control, or you're not.

I've been wondering what to do in order for me to split after work. I thought about driving the Jeep into the back yard to light it all up. I guess I could always run an extension cord and plug in a construction light! :msp_thumbup:

hey, got an idea!!!

This is for next year, feed the addiction so you can split at night..organically!

Get you right now a buncha nice fat juicy pine logs

Cut tall rounds like 24"-30", then noodle /bore cut/rip however you want whatever style, a whole big pile of swedish candles. Next winter, put three or four of them around you while splitting, should be plenty of appropriate light!

Back