am I crazy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading out right after work,, going home sharpening the saws grabbing the trailer and I'm off..

Jump on it like white on rice.When someone asks me "How much wood do you really need?". My answer is " How much is there?". Get all you can today it may be gone tomorrow!:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

I agree. When someone asks me why I have so much firewood my usual response is "how much did you pay for oil/natural gas last winter?" Once I tell them how much my gas bills are they usually don't look so puzzled anymore.

Well just got back. I was out for aleast an hour before it got dark. I went to the farthest spot on the cut parked and took a little walk. The jeep stayed there he hole hour I didn't even get to drive in. There was so much wood laying around I just grabbed the saw and started to cut. I got alot of small stuff I just couldn't leave behind ( 4-6") it's nothing to write home about but it's free and there tons of it everywhere. I was so busy I fogot to take pictures.

Crappy part is Hunting season is approaching, I think it's bird season now and deer is not to far off. I met a couple hunters on the way out so I'll have to becareful when I go back out.

Probably head out again tomorrow.. I'll try and grab some pics.

Last edited:
TJ, is there only one road in? The place I'm cutting now has one entrance, when I go in I put a small sign out that says "hunters - Just a heads up to let you know I'm at the far end of the property cutting wood" I've read about some really stupid hunting accidents, and I don't want to be part of one either.

Get as much of that wood as you can, if you have the time. Even if it's down for a few months it'll still be solid, especially through the winter. Get it up off the ground, split and covered, it'll last for years and be nice and dry. I'd recruit friends if they were able, too. I burn everything down to about 1-1/2" diameter, the little stuff burns just as well as the big stuff.

The property next to mine was logged by a horse team two years ago and I asked about taking all the tops and what was left behind. Owner wouldn't give me permission so I have to watch it all rot. All red oak and a bit of sugar maple. I could probably get away with taking some of it as the owner lives out of state but he's got people in town that "watch" the property, I know I'd get caught & it ain't worth it.

Well just got back. I was out for aleast an hour before it got dark. I went to the farthest spot on the cut parked and took a little walk. The jeep stayed there he hole hour I didn't even get to drive in. There was so much wood laying around I just grabbed the saw and started to cut. I got alot of small stuff I just couldn't leave behind ( 4-6") it's nothing to write home about but it's free and there tons of it everywhere. I was so busy I fogot to take pictures.

Crappy part is Hunting season is approaching, I think it's bird season now and deer is not to far off. I met a couple hunters on the way out so I'll have to becareful when I go back out.

Probably head out again tomorrow.. I'll try and grab some pics.

Like catchen smallies when it turns on, aint no time to retie, just reel them in.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

no you are not crazy and you need not have to bother about the others think about you.you have decided to do that then its your own wish and not the others .
-----------
ragavendra

Blaze Infotech

just gotta be carefull that an angry landowner dosent come by looking for his wood. happened the same way to my grandfather many years ago, had some wood cut and specifically told the logger to leave it in piles in the woods, well someone came along and cut it and took it figuring it was going to get left. needless to say when my grandfather found it they didnt come back for the rest.

just gotta be carefull that an angry landowner dosent come by looking for his wood. happened the same way to my grandfather many years ago, had some wood cut and specifically told the logger to leave it in piles in the woods, well someone came along and cut it and took it figuring it was going to get left. needless to say when my grandfather found it they didnt come back for the rest.

NO worries about that, its Crown land and it's a billion $$ company thats logging it. I'm not taking anything thats been cut and piled, or anything thats still standing. All I'm taking is stuff thats been knocked over ran over and left for dead. Alo of small stuff but it's free and I do mean alot!!

I cut over a clear cut last winter. You can find some pretty nice stuff. Me and my buddy tag-teamed it. Loaded my truck and trailer and his truck everytime we went out. We would haul 10-16 foot pieces on our shoulders and make a pile where we would cut it and load. Throw the back brace on and go to work, it's tedious.

I cut over a clear cut last winter. You can find some pretty nice stuff. Me and my buddy tag-teamed it. Loaded my truck and trailer and his truck everytime we went out. We would haul 10-16 foot pieces on our shoulders and make a pile where we would cut it and load. Throw the back brace on and go to work, it's tedious.

I've done log length as well, 80" fits my trucks shortbed with the tailgate up, 5-6" dia and do the bucking at home, amazing how much faster the "away" part of the job went, and the longer lengths are much more stable for the ride home, stacked neatly, cab high.

TJ-Bill, make the most of an easy find, the sooner you get it home, the better, buck it up at home later, and put that new trailer to work.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back