am i in the wrong here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see both sides here guys, but I buy parts for my unimog in bulk, say 6 fuel filters at a time, 3-4 oil filters, hydraulic filters and other stuff. It comes a ways away and you saving shipping costs and if an emergency arises, you have it on hand. I do not open everything and inspect it. Maybe I'm lucky. I work retail where we receive goods from vendors everyday. Lots of things come in prepackaged and you can not see inside. If something goes out from our yard and is discovered to have hidden damage or be incorrect we call our vendors and we get it taken care of. This particular instance with some removed from item, we would have swapped him out for the correct item and just ran an in house special to get something for the return. I would have at least called my vendor and explained to them the issue to see if they would help compensate, but our first priority is to make the customer happy with-in reason.

I would gladly do business with you!

Me too!! I have a ten day return policy less shipping and will stretch it to a month if asked but certainly not two (2) years!!!

Like I said, I see both sides. I am fortunate enough to work for a small family owned lumber yard and the stuff we warranty or fix for people on a daily basis is mind boggling, but my boss and his family have survived, well, with this philosophy and this year will mark 50 years they have been in business in the same location! Just saying that people come back to us for service and knowledge because we do our best to take care of them. I still think the OP needs to call someone higher up and see if he can get some kind of better resolution to the issue, I'm sure that this is NOT the first time something like this has happened to them, albeit, maybe they found out before the 2 year time went by. I recently got 25 sq. of vynil siding from a vendor for free, even though the contractors flunkies installed it wrong. The sales rep said he'd send it over if they watched an install video to put it on correctly. The sales guy said that alone would make sure that the contractor would use their product. Sometimes you(myself) as a dealer need to know who to call or ask to get things done for people and maybe the person the OP talked to was new and had no authority. Make another call before going overboard. I know that I can't make every decision without checking with my boss, but if I couldn't have made this call on the phone, I would have at least took info down, checked it out and returned the call with an answer to remedy the situation.

Both sides now

I still like my idea, of get a cheap bar .058 guage and use it up.
I also like the idea of spin the loops back onto the roll and send it back for the right stuff.

There is for darn sure a point being made about returns after 2 years, and who is liable here. It would be satisfying to keep going farther back to find the monkey who packaged them up in the first place. Who, no doubt, would say "oops".

I will have some :popcorn: now and watch this unfold

There ya go solution in hand by the previous poster.

Got to admit though that 2 years is a bit of a strech, for the retail community as a whole.

Many years ago I had a problem with some parts from GMC, door latch assembly for a van, Dealer order part , wrong side, again and same same result. So we tried the opposite and got same part, pack labels were correct but part inside was wrong. That little snafu from a vendor shut down a the whole production line of vans. Never heard what the finale outcome was, but can imagine it was way expensive for the vendor. It was a month before we got the right part.

Last edited:
+1 spider...i wouldnt spend more money on shipping that back anyway...sell it on here id buy a couple from ya for my 372

Sorry, but two years, it's your chain now. Sure the fault is theirs or the manufacturer, but waiting two years to discover it is well past any law I know for them to make it right. Even if you "outed" them I'd still buy from them with no problem because I don't see how they are in the wrong here. Not saying you are in the wrong, just one of those things that happens, you learn from it and move on. Based on chain prices you'll have no trouble getting 75% of what it costs now at least. In the end you're out cost of shipping at most and then you buy some new chain and check it right away.

Mr. HE:cool:

Two years? C'mon!

Most retailers, wholesalers and whatnot have return policies... and most are willing to stretch those policies a bit from time-to-time. But two years? C'mon, your asking a bit much from the seller, and it would be totally unfair to blame them. After two years you expect the seller to just "take-you-at-your-word", c'mon. After two years your only real option is to contact the manufacturer/packager directly... maybe you'll get satisfaction, maybe not. Personally I'd just sell the roll if I had no use for it and buy what I needed... heck, it's probably worth one-and-a-half-times what you paid for it two years ago, you could sell it for more than you paid and still make someone a heck of a deal.

Chalk-it-up as a "lesson learned" and open the boxes on receipt next time.

I tried to rep you but no go. Good, sane analysis - I had overlooked the "2 year bit".

Harry K

I see both sides here guys, but I buy parts for my unimog in bulk, say 6 fuel filters at a time . . . I do not open everything and inspect it . . . This particular instance with some removed from item, we would have swapped him out for the correct item and just ran an in house special . . . first priority is to make the customer happy . . .

OK… Let’s talk fuel filters.
So let’s say I call you and say…

My name is John Doe/Joe Blow and I got this fuel filter from you via mail-order about... oh, I guess it was about two years ago. Anyway, I didn’t need it at the time, just wanted a spare so it’s been sitting on my bench. Today when I opened it to use it… and the darn thing was packaged wrong; it’s the wrong part in the correct box. One of the clamps is broke because I tried installing it before I noticed it was wrong... and it smells kind’a like gas now... and the box is a bit greasy and the label is kind’a faded-out. I don’t know what I did with the receipt, after-all, it was two years ago when you shipped it to me, but I might be able to find it... maybe... but it is the brand you sell. Anyway, I want my money back… OK?

If you’re still seeing both sides of this… you’re gonna’ be selling me all my parts from here-on-out.

And by-the-way, I worked over 20-years managing an automotive parts and service department... ain't no way that fuel filter would be finding it's way into my inventory (and I'd likely be LMAO after I politely told you "no" and hung up the phone).

Last edited:
2 years

Agreed Ive ordered plenty of things via mail order/online there has to be some sort of personal responsibility involved.

i'll just chalk it up as my loss. 2 years is a lot to ask. i wonder if they will send me some 3/8 side straps and pre sets, because it came with ones for .325. maybe i should mic the chain and make sure its even what the spool says it is:msp_rolleyes:

v, you are in the lead in fact by nature of you makin' your own loops in the first place. Did I miss the post that said they was the wrong tie straps? No hill for a climber. Always verify.

Bull! Two years is not a long time. If your a contractor, your work product is subject to liability for 7 to 8 years in most states, If your a manufacturer, you are liable for you product errors for 10-12 years. If you have an insurance claim, your policy is liable for a minimum of two years after the loss and in some states 3-4. Take note that the car manufactures have recalls for previous model years, not just last weeks production run. The statute of limitation under the law is usually a minimum of two years for most things. Come on guys, some of you are living by a double standard here. If it were you, you would want to get justice. If the thief who robs your business of all your stock is not caught until after two years after the act, well then, let the poor guy go, For heavens sake it happened more than two years ago. The man had mis labeled product. He did nothing wrong, but you want him to eat it because it happened two years ago. Sorry, but I do not agree that it is too long ago for the OP to get this corrected. Wow. You guys fired me up:)

I don't think the op is going to be out much money if he sells the roll and replaces it. Not worth the hassle in my mind to go after company other than making them know you are a little pissed after THEIR mistake. I would have assumed the rep would have been a little nicer but that's likely the response they are told to give on " wrong" orders, just make it difficult enough that the customer keeps the product but still stays a customer.
And if there was a lifetime warranty/ exchange on something that you bought that turned out years later to be something completely different than what you originally bought I have a wife that I would love to return to her Father. I'm sure there's a bunch of other guys on here that feel the same way.

Back