Am I nutz?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
In many instances where I could use my BS to set a pull-line, I opt for just climbing up there and doing it myself. I mean, the BS is waycool, but it's usually just as easy for me to climb on up there and set it than it is for me to get the BS set-up and then recover it.

But I'm sthil a young un...

Relax...

I wind up climbing up more often than using a shot unless its some weird stem. If I don't get it on the first try it us usually a waste of time. :umpkin:

Yes your nuts. If its set-able from the ground, thats what I do. Now if i am already up there, i will set it, but i cant think of when i would climb over throw (I have actually gottin pretty decent at throwing, using the BS a little less) unless there was nothing to throw around, such as a spar.

Oh, and in your movie, i woulda used the BS (or tried it by hand) and set it up a 1/3 higher up the tree. Obviously your way worked (it aint a knock and i know you wont take it as one, but someone will get there panties bunched on here and complain), i am just saying that I would have set it a good bit higher, from the ground, in what I could only guess would be just as fast. I rarely miss a shot with a BS in a pine.

You need Skill to set a line by hand. Hey Justin tell every one how good I am at settin a line. I dont mean to brag, I just need some verification. Oh and by the way those nasty elms dont count. LOL

Kenn

Butch,

In this business you need to make things as easy as you can. I am not saying that you don't already know this.

If that means learning a trick or purchasing a new piece of gear...........then do it.

I a situation of a pull over, we/I routinely hit 50-60 ft. shots without the BS.

When it comes to throw bags and the BS practice really does make things easier.

The thing I hate about the BS is you cant "break" your throw line with the free hand to get it to drop into the target crotch. Just yesterday, my groundie asked me, "why do your lines always just float over the crotch you want?" Thats because I throw with my right hand, and break with my left. I still cant get him out of the habit of throwing granny style.

Kenn

bought the big shot, use a 8 or 10 ounce weight. My new guy can kill a squirrel with it. He's had all of half year experience. Really, you think I'm gonna teach him some neanderthal method of underhand sling? Get real. Tools sometimes really do make the carpenter. I did it the hard way too many years. This kid was hitting the crotch on first or second try first week.

It's more of allowing the learning curve to set in. I'm with the high tie-in crowd too. I'll even do multiple shots to lace the rope through several crotches to get a even pull on the crown. I'll use a fixed bo'lin on the rope then.

Trust me, that tree was going where I wanted it. ;)

I just felt like climbing it, I was already geared up.

But don't get me wrong! I LUV my BS! :)

mb, you're climber! thats why you climbed that pine. you probly didnt need a line to put that thing just where you needed it to go. you wanted to climb that sumbeach, and it was the right thing to do...gitchoo some.

Back