am i the only one thats this anal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of threads on cleaning chains - took a lot of grief over those! But it is not so much for them to make them look pretty, as much as being able to inspect them, look for damage, and to keep crud out of my grinding wheels. Looking pretty is just a plus!

Philbert

I clean my air filter all the time, sometimes they get a quick blast of air from a blower and then they just go in the storage box on the truck until the next day[emoji45] boring i know.

I have saws that don't require an air filter cleaning every day. The 441 and 241 go weeks before I need to clean them out.

Nope, I blow off my saws, weedeaters, etc with the air hose everyday after use unless something comes up I have to leave or go onto something else, but the next day the air hose comes out. Heck after I mow I break out the SG86 and get to work on my Z950R and push mower if used before they go into the garage.
Once per year if not twice I detail my Stihl stuff also, taking off the covers, etc. and cleaning the best I can.
I have a 2000 model 029 Super I retired last year that has cut I don't have a clue how much wood, limbs, briars, etc that is in 90% or better condition, because I clean it and keep it clean the best I can and the most important I transport all my stuff that will fit into a case in cases to help protect them.
Stickers don't survive too good on my stuff though, due to use and cleaning though.

All equipment for 20 years or more I have only used premium gas including lawn mowers, now the two cycle stuff I used the Stihl high performance, then the HP Ultra Synthetic came out I switched over to it to hopefully prolong engine life.

I just blast them clean with the air hose, including up into the clutch cover - no disassembly. If I have to take the chain off then that area gets air-hosed well. Filters when they need it, which varies by saw.

For me, it's protecting my investments. Doesn't matter the brand or the cost, they all get the same TLC.

Many, many years ago, I bought a RYAN weed-eater from a variety store. It was like $50.00 or so when I bought it. I used it for like 10 yrs. or so and maintained it religiously.

I ended up selling it for more than I paid for it, when I bought my former Stihl FS-44 line trimmer. That was because it was in exceptional condition.

I am same way , this is not just a tool but an investment. I have 30 year old saws that would be 90 to 95% with 100% being new and these saws have cut countless cords. My friend owns a tree service and buys saws on monthly basis, never cleans any thing, used his bucket truck one day and bucket was full of water and poured water out and out came a 200t ruined. so yes every tool I own when finished is put back in proper order.

I've been around small engines (chain saws) from a very early age. I used to hang around a Mac saw shop when I wasn't in school, eating a meal, or sleeping. I learned a lot about saws, swearing and sex in that shop.

I think because of all that, I developed an affinity for small engines. My greatest memory was the time I bought bits and pieces to make a used mini-bike. I was 8 at the time, and put it together myself. It took me about a month or so due to being a little short on money. But it did come together and from that day on, it changed my life.

when I get done using my saw each day I blow it off only if I know it will be used the next day,,, normally I have never used my saws more then 2 days in a row,, when I get ready to put it up for an extended period of time I take it almost completely apart and clean it good and wipe all the smudges off,,, for instance,,, I bought my 346xp a couple of years ago and maybe run a dozen tanks though it,,, it still looks new,,, here is a couple of pics of my 372 before I put it up the other day,, I used it for 2 days,, took it completely apart and cleaned it good,,, I bought this one off fleabay about 2 year ago or so for 250 shipped,,, it at that time only a few tanks run through it,, I have run maybe 8-10 tanks through it myself since then,,,, I am very careful where is set my saws on the ground,,, I make sure there is no branches to scratch it or set it in dirt,, I always look for grass or leaves to set them on,,, am I the only one that is this anal about taking care of my equipment or am I just being stupid even though all my saws still look new,,, I am just wondering if I need to be put on a different med for this problem
View attachment 396844 View attachment 396845 View attachment 396846 View attachment 396847
If you were anal, you'd do something about that ugly gas tank :lol:
But me too; I always look for grass or leaves to set it down on, and I NEVER dig the dawgs in.

If you were anal, you'd do something about that ugly gas tank :lol:
But me too; I always look for grass or leaves to set it down on, and I NEVER dig the dawgs in.
yep the gas tank does look a lot darker but it is full of fuel:yes::yes:
guess I am not the only one that believes that the saws are investments and not just a tool,,, I know several people that have saws that have NEVER been cleaned,,,, personally I hate the idiea of a saw getting so crudy that you need a pressure washer to find the paint

guess I am not the only one that believes that the saws are investments and not just a tool,,, I know several people that have saws that have NEVER been cleaned,,,, personally I hate the idiea of a saw getting so crudy that you need a pressure washer to find the paint

There's probably been plenty of used saws up for sale that I passed on, just because they were dirty and well-used looking.

Never could figure out why some sell items in that condition and hoping to make a sale, rather than spend an hour or so cleaning it up, to improve your chances of making a quick sale.

My 372 has cut some wood... maybe 50-60 cords? Which isn't a lot on a relative scale but I've only had it 2 years . Still looks brand new except for 1 tiny blemish on the front of the crankcase and it's lost the "luster" it used to have new. It's more than an investment for me though. It was my "life" savings. Took me awhile to save up for that thing and I'm not gonna abuse it. Does yours have the transparent tank on it? I read those fade and change colors due to spillage and sunlight

Not to hi-jack the thread, but, how often do people inspect and grease spindle bearing on Stihl inboard clutch saws?

In wildfire work, it seems universal that at the end of every day, the air filter, and bar come off and everything is cleaned as much as possible without air. Some guys are in there inspecting the bearing every day, too.

Roy

nice bike.

i really like the rainbow walled tires.

the chainsaw rack on the back looks sweet as well.

My saws get cleaned after every use. I use great care to not scrape the bottoms of my saws, I have found it to be a great sales aid to show a not beat-up base to a buyer.

Latest posts

Back