American Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of American Elm that they had split? I am splitting a storm damaged tree that I think might be American Elm. It is tough splitting, very stringy when split and the splits have a darker middle while the outside lightens as it gets close to the bark. Bark is real tough also.

I just like to know what I am burning and what is in my pile. Thanks

oh ya, very heavy wood when green

if its elm you are not splitting it by hand tom trees

I was splitting 32" dia rounds of elm by hand yesterday. 8 lb maul, 2 wedges. It's a pain, but doable. Good exercise. Better to do it when it's below freezing though.

Elm is very stringy when wet, ripping it apart is a better description than splitting it.
attachment.php

If you see anything like this under the bark it is definitely Elm.
elm_bark_beetle5.jpg

I borrowed a buddy's splitter a couple of times and the only thing that ever stopped it was a big "V" of elm. If I can get it to 10"x24" my furnace will eat it.:help:

I'm currently working on splitting some ELM and it is so stringy, but we're trying to salvage the outer bark for some of my wife's crafting. It comes off very clean, and unique, but the wood is horrible to split!

Too Wet to Split

I'm currently working on splitting some ELM and it is so stringy, but we're trying to salvage the outer bark for some of my wife's crafting. It comes off very clean, and unique, but the wood is horrible to split!
Stop trying to split it green. Let your elm dry in the round for about four months untll the bark falls off and the ends check up. Then split it.

You should have cut that elm back in April and stacked the rounds. That's how I do it and it works.

Latest posts

Back