American Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop trying to split it green. Let your elm dry in the round for about four months untll the bark falls off and the ends check up. Then split it.

You should have cut that elm back in April and stacked the rounds. That's how I do it and it works.
I agree. Dad and I go thru alot of elm, american and the redder stuff. We'll usually round it, stack it, and let it set, preferably over the summer and start splitting now or next month. Splits alot easier, and even easier when it's frozen.

Stop trying to split it green. Let your elm dry in the round for about four months untll the bark falls off and the ends check up. Then split it.

You should have cut that elm back in April and stacked the rounds. That's how I do it and it works.

Neighbor gave me an Elm he had taken down. Tried to split to see how it would go when it was green, very tough. Split some this weekend after 3-4months and it was A lot easier.

I split 2 cord of elm a few weeks ago. Bark was falling off, and it wasnt anywhere near easy. Was using a 20 ton splitter and I will never split that crap again. Took down 4 more this week, and its at a friends waiting to get ground up into mulch. The time it takes to split the stuff just isnt worth it to me.

elm can be a pita to split, but ive been getting smaller stuff that dont need splitting, and i do like the way it burns.

About 20% of the trees on my property used to be elms. After the 2003 drought, they started dying, now there are none left. I do still have some standing dead, though. One of the most rot-resistant woods I know. It will stay standing dead for years. I drop it a year or more after the bark has fallen off, then stack the rounds for 6 months, tarped on top with scraps of EPDM roofing. Still a PITA to split the crotch wood, but the other stuff goes just fine with my 30 ton splitter. The crotch wood pretty much just gets cut by the splitter.

The elm that I have smells like cat piss when it's green. But after it's dead and dry for a couple of years, it has a wonderful, spicy aroma when it burns. Almost a cinnamon smell, but better.

I'm going to miss those elm trees.

I've cleared and processed into firewood 3-4 acres of red, siberian and american elm and used both a 27t hydraulic and electric supersplit. The hydraulic will split it all, but very slowly. The supersplit prefers the american quite dead with bark comming off. It will blow through the red and siberan best when fresh cut green, or standing dead with no bark. It seems to have a tough time with partially seasoned rounds. (cut green, rounds left to dry up to six months)

And how do those different elms smell when they are burning? Just curious....
I've grilled a pork shoulder over the elm that we have/had here, and it's fantastic.

And how do those different elms smell when they are burning? Just curious....
I've grilled a pork shoulder over the elm that we have/had here, and it's fantastic.

I've never tried smoking anything with elm, but as far as firewood, red elm is tops, especially if you get it standing dead with the bark off.. American elm is second, a good middle ot the road firewood. Siberian when cut green and seasoned is ok but sometimes it's hard to get it going an even then does not produce alot of output... my best use of it so far is to make swedish candles out of it. I do sell quite a lot to the local bar/marina that keeps their fireplace going all winter... they've had no complaints...
If you can find siberian standing dead with no bark it's pretty good, or maybe I confused it with red elm???

Thanks 3-4. I'm going to have to look it up now, don't know what kind we have/had. None of it has leaves or bark, so ID's will be a little difficult!

Latest posts

Back