American splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixon

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on getting an AM25s with log lift,log table ,and 4way wedge . I'd appreciate any comments from owners of this model ,or other splitters in the American splitter line .
So far , I've been getting by with a Big Box store splitter . But ,I figure there has to be a better ,faster way to do things :)

I've been looking for a log splitter too, and saw a couple of Americans in New York a week or two ago. They look to be top quality, and have moved up to the top of my list. The AM-24H is too low to the ground for me (basic price was $1700). It is "horizontal" only, not sure I would like the way it shoves the splits off the end - no way to catch them until you add a shelf. Then you would have to unhook it from the tow vehicle, just extra messing around. I am interested in the Am-24V which does horizontal and vertical (price was $2100). I would use it mostly horizontal, and the wedge is on the ram so the splits are not shoved off the end and go vertical for the really big chunks. (It is probably what you get used to....)

What impressed me was: 1) the "lay out" - how things are out of the way. Many of the box store brands are obviously make compact to save on material and everything gets squeezed together. 2) The hydraulic hoses were bigger and higher quality than others I have looked at. 3) massive plate at the end of the beam- what is that, 2 inches thick??! 4) overall "solid" build on everything.

The AM25S has the heavier beam than the 34 series, so it must be incredible! I searched through this site and others, and found many, many happy users. I don't think you could go wrong.

I've got an American and the architecture of the machine can only be called optimum. I'm not an easy sell and I practiced due dilligence in shopping this machine. I've run both vertical and horizontal tools, and the high wheel American model with wedge-on-beam, catch pans, high capacity pump and GX engine proves to me to be about the most ergonomic and efficient combination of features, quality and value available.
The more I split, the more I like it!
Longshot

One of the best

When I was looking for a splitter last year I was literally 3 days from grabbing an American 25H when I fell into a virtully unused Timberwolf that was too good a deal to pass up.

If that's the machine you want, get it. You won't regret it. Everyone I know that has one, or that has used one speaks very highly of it.

Take Care

I have a 25+ year old American splitter. We do about 20 cords a years with it plus I loan it out to my friends. When the ram is all the way forward and I hit the detent...I got 6 seconds to grab another log to split.

Truthfully I can't keep up with it, I run it for 30-45 minutes then rest while I cut grass for 20 min or so. When I got it, I think back in 82-84 this was the only one whites farm supply had available ...

...just say'en there weren't to many choices back them. I don't even know the correct tonnage....maybe 10 tons. That's a tape measure by the cylinder maybe one of you can tell me the tonnage.

Doug said it would split anything I had and it has ...the elm you have to shave off the side like you would hand splitting but I can live with that.

It's horizontal only and the 'I' beam is only 6" parallel with the ground. Big rounds to heavy to lift I roll on a ramp of always present splitter trash...and split it in half. To me that's easier than maneuvering a large round on it's cut end under a diagonal splitter.

3142212552_96ddb05793.jpg

American don't make cheap throw away splitters or that you have to modify to make right. Just ask yourself how long you intend to burn wood.

I've heard good reports on the Timberwolf too....just say'en.

Last edited:
i have the 24HH.i love it.

5.5 honda with the 4 way.will s[it a cord on a tank of fuel.

actually,mine is still in the trading post here.i forgot about that,LOL.

i have everything but the engine to convert it to the 25HH.

I loved my american splitter. Not sure what model , had an 8 second cycle, 12hp kohler, and 4 way wedge. Split well over 1000 full cord with zero repares except for regular maintenence.

25hh

Bought mine in '05 with 4 way, pans, extended hitch,wedge backer,log lift, what a back saver the lift is, working height is perfect. I'm 6 Ft tall. Great machine IMO. :)

Well, I ordered the splitter . It's going to be the 25 HH . For what I relly need to do it should be more than adequate . I ordered it with the Honda 8hp , log lift ,log pan ,4 way ,and extended hitch.
Thanks to all of You for Your replies .
John

I use the 25hh model with the 5.5 briggs and the small pump. We are happy with it. I am going to order one with the 8 and 16 gallon pump for better speed. NOT that there is anything at all wrong with this set up. We usually split and stack with 4 people. with 2 people running the splitter and two stacking you can really roll through some wood in no time at all. A little extra speed for this would be nice.

The machine is a mule ! I picked up some 16 inch x 32 inch red oak rounds with the lift that had the back tires off the ground with my john deere 4100 !

the table add on is a must for this machine, it is a back saver !

Latest posts

Back