Amount of wood used in your OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeAvilaTree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm getting a outdoor wood boiler this spring, do any of you guys run yours year round? And if so how many cords do you think you go thru per year? (on an average year, Iknow some of you have had a rough winter)

I have a homebuilt OWB.My house is an eight year old two story brick.I'm heating 2900 sq ft.Our winter has been longer and much colder than usual this year.At the rate I'm burning now I'm going to use around 9 cords of mixed wood this year.
I started using mine around last of october and will heat to about middle of april...

Up here, with a commercial OWB heating under 2000 ft, most allow at least 15 cords... they use less, but sometimes use most of it.

Need some more info...what type of wood, how much are you heating (sq. footage, well insulated, etc), type/size of OWB, climate, how far of a run from OWB and house, what type of PEX/insulation, how deep buried.

I'm getting a outdoor wood boiler this spring, do any of you guys run yours year round? And if so how many cords do you think you go thru per year? (on an average year, Iknow some of you have had a rough winter)
21 years on mine and the average is 8. This year maybe closer to 9. Heating 2000 s/f with about a 50ft run.Wood is mostly oak.Summer months we put so much limb clean up in it its hard to keep up with but less than a cord for sure .

Back