Amsoil HP Marine in chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher temperatures in a non-water-cooled engine.
Theoretically a water-cooled aluminum engine isn't ever going to get much hotter than 212°F -- the boiling point of water. I suspect localized temps in a chainsaw would be a smidge higher, causing the oil to start to scorch/carbon up. Bad juju if the rings get jammed up with carbon...
As for the Amsoil ad copy you quoted...well, it's ad copy.
Ah, in my mind the higher temperature of the saw engine was going to burn the oil better, resulting in an even cleaner
burn than the ad mentioned, it would be interesting to know how heat affects the oil in the mix in this regard, in lay mans
terms, would it be better to not burn up all the oil and just dump it out the muffler, or burn it to a crisp and what affect would
that crisp burnt remains have on the engine life in contrast. I understand the oil trapped in the case below the piston won't
be burning so none of the above will affect it and it will go on to lubricate the lower end.

Higher temperatures in a non-water-cooled engine.
Theoretically a water-cooled aluminum engine isn't ever going to get much hotter than 212°F -- the boiling point of water. I suspect localized temps in a chainsaw would be a smidge higher, causing the oil to start to scorch/carbon up.
Typical surface temperature of a modern chainsaw cylinder at ~9000rpm is 270-300 degrees celsius. That's 518-572 fahrenheit.

Ah, in my mind the higher temperature of the saw engine was going to burn the oil better, resulting in an even cleaner
burn than the ad mentioned, it would be interesting to know how heat affects the oil in the mix in this regard, in lay mans
terms, would it be better to not burn up all the oil and just dump it out the muffler, or burn it to a crisp and what affect would
that crisp burnt remains have on the engine life in contrast. I understand the oil trapped in the case below the piston won't
be burning so none of the above will affect it and it will go on to lubricate the lower end.
It's a little more complicated than that. Traditional "ashless" TCW3 oils will cause excessive varnish in the exhaust port and on/around the piston ring lands when used in an air cooled engine. The "low ash" additive package contained in JASO FC/FD oils help combat this, when used in higher temperature engines. Conversely, when "low ash" JASO FC/FD oils are used in lower temp outboard motors, they can cause gummy deposits.

Some on this site do use high end TCW3 oils in their saws with excellent results, but this isn't the norm. I'm guessing these high end oils have a higher synthetic content, and perform more like a JASO FD oil. Schaffers 7000 is one I've seen used successfully. This is the exception, not the rule, IMO.

Back