Amsoil sabor or sthil ultra for hard working saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any oil with castor in it will make a mess in short order. For racing and cookie cutting it's fine, maybe ever preferred, Maxima 927 would be my choice there. However for a saw that gets real use those oils make a mess, plus they like to cause corrosion and fall out of suspension in cold temperatures. It's not an appropriate oil for use in chainsaws. This isn't hype or what have you, I've seen the results with my own eyes, other have even document their findings.

Just to agree I used a quart of klotz benol. The castor oil doesn’t work well in cold weather. Hard to actually burn it too.

I don’t like stihl ultra. I’d use it in a pinch but I don’t buy it.

I’m running Kawasaki fd rated at the moment. Found it on sale. When it’s gone who knows what I’ll run

Worst I’ve used is Lucas. Lost a rod bearing. My other saws seemed way dry on the exhaust side. Changed from the Lucas to the cheap husky low smoke. Exhaust side then seemed shiny again.

Sounds like a ratio issue with the Lucas. Oil isn’t “dry”
40:1. Piston finally slapped the roof enough to pinch the ring. Since then I do run 32:1 modded saw or stock. Saw in question was a 346 It was ported tuned good. Wasn’t like I scored a cylinder. I lost a bearing.. I’d stay away from the stuff 40:1 should honestly be enough

Sounds like a ratio issue with the Lucas. Oil isn’t “dry”
I had ran probably 7-8 gallons of fuel through a few different saws. They all seemed not lubricated enough on the exhaust side of piston. I don’t pull mufflers to check stuff out but my 272 notoriously rattles the muffler loose so I checked. Didn’t like what I saw. I did a complete tear down on the 346 the case was not lubricated to the level I’d like to see. I need to put that saw back together. I have a new crank just need a piston. Jug is fine

I used the orginal husky xp oil at 38:1 ratio for decades in the same saws. I think I’m going to run the same ratio with the husky oil. Do I use Xp or Xp+? Is the Xp ok for the newer saws or is the xp + ok for the older saws.

Maxima 927 synthetic Castor blend is used for castiron sleeves.
Maxima super M is used in nickasil cylinders.

My son used his left over 34:1 dirtbike super m mix in his wild thing for two decades and it’s still runs good.

40:1 less oil, 38:1 more oil. Does it matter? My saws never wore out.

Using the 2.5 gallon to one can of Xp oil. I put in 2.3 gallons of gas to one can of xp oil. Never fouled a plug.

I used maxima super M in the dirtbikes for decades. The husky XP oil looks like super M color wise.

Back