• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy An Extra Day For Each Week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, I think it is a real shame if you don't make Jon grind a few more every now and then. All that trial-and-error, all that studying, the wasted jugs, those well-kept notes, what's it worth if (heaven forbid) something happens to you? Experience with a grinder is necessary to produce those pretty results.

I say get Jon some part time help (maybe family?) and let him turn out a few (more). I know you won't listen to me, but I feel like I'm giving sound advice.

Work to make your living, don't live for your work. I wish I'd listened to others, years ago.

Good luck, and remember, if you don't take care of yourself, it's hard for someone else to take care of you.

If you are going to continue to grow (and you are), you'll either have to figure out how to turn out more work, or charge more. Simple as that.

You can continue to be Promotions, Creative, R&D, Customer Service, and Quality Control. Let someone else help with Production.

In fact, just having an extra someone competent to help out with Receiving and Shipping would probably buy you beaucoup extra time.

Jon does rebuilds, muffler mods, a lot of assembly and disassembly for me, and packaging......

He ain't got time to do port work. :laugh:

Jon does rebuilds, muffler mods, a lot of assembly and disassembly for me, and packaging......

He ain't got time to do port work. :laugh:

That's what I'm saying. Get some help for Jon, whether you take care of yourself or not.

I always hated it when someone told me how to run my business, so please don't take offense @ my ramblings, but I wish you would take them to heart.

I once had 14 men working for me.......I have no desire to get any larger.

Amen. Been there and done that. I now have a job where I am responsible for nobody but myself and I love it. My buddy owns a restaurant. He makes a good living but works a lot and puts up with the headache that comes with it. He always asks me if I know anybody who wants to buy a restaurant. He made me promise him one thing---that I would never go in the restaurant business; that is one promise I can keep. He also tells me that if your job requires you to hire one employee then you are too big.

If you are going to continue to grow (and you are), you'll either have to figure out how to turn out more work, or charge more. Simple as that.

Or... don't up the rates and only take enough work to keep you busy 5 days a week. You got that going with the new "appointment only" system. No piles of saws to stress you into working nights and weekends... unless you want to fund a vacation.

Back