An unfortunate development

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night, before starting the evening fire, I gave my ancient little wood furnace its weekly inspection. Strong light inside the firebox revealed a small crack, between 1 and 2 inches long… damn! I gave it a temporary patch with some furnace cement and built the fire. I fabricated and welded a replacement firebox on it some twenty years ago, but twenty years is a long time… it’s warped and wrinkled from all those years of heat abuse and I knew an eventual crack was inevitable (hence the weekly inspection).

So now I’ve come to a crossroads of sorts…
  1. At the end of the season I could haul the furnace out to the shop, disassemble it and weld the crack… maybe, just maybe get through another year before another crack appears. But I’ve learned from experience, once that steel starts crackin’…
  2. I could make and install another firebox, but really, the cast front and back are getting old. The rear is a little warped… how much longer should I trust it?
  3. I could build, or buy, a new furnace.

Looking at new furnaces, I could buy one for around $1,000 from one of the Big-Box stores, a 60k – 90k BTU is all I need… and $1k is justifiable for me, after all it’s the price of one LP tank fill. If I go with one of the nicer, supposedly better built furnaces (such as those sold by a couple members here) the price begins to approach $2k… but really, I don’t need, or even want, all the fancy stuff on it. I don’t need combustion air intake blowers, thermostatically controlled firebox and whatnot… I don’t even need the forced air blower, I have a couple already. Really, all I need, or want, is a bare-bones furnace… no blowers, no wiring, no thermostats, no fancy paint…

Build one? Not so sure I can build one enough cheaper than $1k to justify that either.

An unfortunate development.

So now I’ve come to a crossroads of sorts…
  1. At the end of the season I could haul the furnace out to the shop, disassemble it and weld the crack… maybe, just maybe get through another year before another crack appears. But I’ve learned from experience, once that steel starts crackin’…
  2. I could make and install another firebox, but really, the cast front and back are getting old. The rear is a little warped… how much longer should I trust it?
  3. I could build, or buy, a new furnace.

Build one? Not so sure I can build one enough cheaper than $1k to justify that either.

An unfortunate development.

Sounds like you may have gotten all the goody you can out of that little gem. There comes a point in everything where it's just time to let er go. Say a few nice words over her this spring and haul it to the scrap yard.

My opinions on the rest go something like this.
The box store brands look like they could be an OK unit. My SIL has one (don't know the brand) and it is serving him well. He paid $1499 for it but it was the biggest one the farm store had. The smaller units just had to small of a fire box. Like I said. It looks to be an OK unit but I'll GUESS that you would not see the longevity that would come from a better unit.

I've not seen in real life one of the units like from Lampguy or Crappie but I'll guess they are built to last a LONG time. Maybe they will sell you a bare bones unit.

As far as building one. That would be a fun project. It'll likely cost the same or more than the cheaper units but you'll hopefully end up with a MUCH better furnace.
I'll forewarn you. CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY FIRST...
Many ins companies don't like "homemade". It's doable but not with every company...

Thermal mass

Perhaps consider one of the russian styled thermal mass devices. Just laying up block and stone.

Time for your Smoky to give it up Spidy. You've gotten your money's worth, and the 1000's of stories about the tribulations of S&S ( Smoky and Spidy ).:rock:

Schedule the burial, I will play Taps ( we do Honors ceremonies--Bugles Across America-- here since the bright VA, and state mil groups do recorded Taps only ), and your minister ( priest or rabbi ) can officiate. ( Here's one: "A priest, a minister, and a rabbi go into a bar. Bartender asks: " Is this a joke ? " :blob2: Drumroll.).

Investigate a current ( i.e. up-to-date ) gasifier furnace or even a real, honest-to-goodness Wood Stove that is EPA approved, will save you cordwood, clean your Iowa air, and provide warmth for the little Spidys. Plenty of advice here and hearthnet.

PM.

You do have a CO alarm?

If you want a cheapo stove with no controls then get one. Just open the windows when it's too warm and extra blankets when too cool.

Now I'd like to be governmental and spend some of your money. Ben Franklin has been gone a long time, lots of woodburner improvements have been made-------take advantage of some of them.

Maybe WC TV will be along and design you one that's shaped like a guitar.

I like simple rather than complex too, but get something with secondary combustion so as to capture that energy that would go up the stack. Secondary combustion is not adding much to the complexity of the design, as it's just ducts and manifolds - there's no moving or sacrificial parts.

If you have the time and the skill , build your own. You can incorporate the secondary burn function, feed the combustion air from outside and likely end up with a unit many times better than any thing that can be purchased for the dollars invested. They are not rocket science. I built a stove/furnace for a club 30 some years ago still going strong. Granted it is not run 24/7.

A "stove" is out, don't want one in any shape or form, much prefer an "add-on furnace" type like we have.
I don't believe the "furnace" type are "EPA"... yet?
Don't need, or want, automatic or electronic controls, draft blowers, etc... just equals something to break or quit.
I want a manually controlled furnace, manual draft dampers, manual flue dampers, nothing more... we're used to it, we like it, and... and we know how to run it. I just want the forced air blower to kick in when plenum temp reaches a preset, and I can install that myself (using what already I have).
Secondary combustion? OK if it has it (no damn cat), but I'm not willing to pay a bunch extra for it... if'n ya' know how to run your furnace it'll run plenty efficient.

You built a stove that lasted 20 years.

Replace it with another that you build, knowing within reason it'll last another 20 years.*

Take the old one out and shoot it or blow it up (or both). Then turn it into scrap.

Profit.

*consider building two identical at the same time. Set back the spare stove, and you won't have to build one when this replacement one goes out and you're old and frail... ;)

New furnace

i would say with the savings that stove has provided over a twenty year period it is time to buy a new one, i would talk to CrappieKeith, or Lampmfg they could both set you up with a nice furnace!!

Spidey, I feel your pain. My old Woodchuck is in about the same state. I've invested time and effort into repairing cracks, only to find another one somewhere else in a month or two. Mine is leaving as well, but I'm going with 2 stoves instead - a big one downstairs for main heat, and a smaller one upstairs for supplemental heat and ambience. It's gonna cost as much as a new furnace from one of our sponsors with chimney work, etc. but I like the versatility.

If you're staying with a furnace, and just want simple and familiar, there's options out there.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is hauling the old monster out of the basement. Might run the ox ax in through the window and make scrap right there.

WS, That’s has to be everyones worse nightmare. When I heated with an indoor stove, after many years mine cracked like yours did. Being I had a big old cast wood furnace, I tried to weld and you know what happened. I went as far as to take it outside in sections, reassemble it and build a fire inside. I figured if I could get the cast up to heat so it expanded, I could weld the cracks with a nickel rod, let it cool down slowly and it would be as good as new. Well you know how that turned out.

You have one thing in your favor - We are just about to the end of the heating season so there is some good deal out there. Like you said… “$1k is justifiable for me, after all it’s the price of one LP tank fill” Even if you saved one tank of LP per year, over the next five years any good wood furnace would pay for itself.

Let's hope this nice weather keeps up and you have time to figure the best way to go.

LOL!
Time to put that old smoke dragon out to pasture!

Del, you may just get your wish! You’ve been on my butt to upgrade to some sort of EPA stove since the day I first showed up on AS.

My brother’s father-in-law just gave me a Pacific Energy Spectrum… no not a furnace, but…
The thing is solid and barely used. I figure I can remove the tin shields and fabricate some different shrouding for the firebox and use it as a small furnace. Really that’s what I’ve been using, an old stove I converted to furnace configuration, so I should be able to use some of the existing shrouding to facilitate this one. Not ideal, but one heck of a lot cheaper (free) than a new furnace. I’ll make this one work for a couple years and save my pennies… and then buy a real nice furnace instead of a Big-Box store compromise (or I may still build one). Pacific says 70,000 BTU, heats up to 2000 sq ft., probably at least the BTU’s I’m getting now… and most likely using less wood… and my house is a small single story.

O-M-G… it has a glass door, secondary burn, and 1990 EPA standard certified. Yep, everything I’ve bad–mouthed since day one here on AS. My tape measure says it will accept the 16 inch wood I cut with room to spare, loading north-south (log ends facing door) instead of having to go east-west… which is a big plus to me.

Are you happy now? LOL!

WE are pleased Spidy. Good on ya.

Next: when do WE bury the beast ? My horn is ready and able; Maine Honor burials are usually delayed until thaw.

How about an A.S. GTG Pig Roast ?:jester::jester:

P.S. Since you're a stickler for tech details, the "glass" you mention on the P.E. is clear ceramic. FYI.

Don't feel bad man.

Think how nice that glass door will be watching a fire getting started with a sprinkle of used motor.

I got 5 gallons of used cooking oil from a resturant. It starts up pretty good!

Get it right Del: it's CERAMIC damn it. :bang::bang:

Since when does the man use used oil for fires ?:givebeer:

Just when i was gonna suggest cutting a hole in the roof and building a fire on the floor.
Doing it Indian style!

I really wish I could put in a furnace but I would have to remodel half the lower level and put in a whole new chimney stack. I also thought about an outdoor furnace but the layout of my house and yard just makes it a pipe dream.

BTW who dreams of pipes?

Indians!

Seriously though congrats on the freebie! I'm guessing the free part will make the heat just a bit warmer!
:msp_thumbup:

I use a squirt of (used) motor oil and kerosene to start the fire LB.

I went and looked at that PE Spectrum again last night with a better light (good flash light instead of a Bic lighter… it’s stored in a shed). Sure is a pretty darn thing compared to my rusty old furnace; has black porcelain enamel sides and top with gold trim. Seems almost a shame to remove all that pretty stuff to encase it in a plenum, but if I don’t it would just heat the basement. I downloaded the manual and it appears a large share of the heat is radiated through that clear ceramic door, so I’ll probably have to encase the front also. That’ll be fine, I’ll just make the plenum front swing open… and then when I’m downstairs I can open it to radiate heat into that space (and yes Del… also watch the fire, LOL). He even replaced the firebrick just before his wife made him quit burning wood so it’s like brand-spankin’ new.

Probably end up nursing my old furnace until end of season ‘cause it’s gonna’ take a bit of engineering to install this one. Although, it’s getting late enough in the season I could probably just install it as-is for now, and let it heat the basement… there’d be enough heat radiating up through the floors to keep the house warm in this mild weather. Then I could build the plenum and such after heating season. Haft’a see? Gotta’ go get it as soon as I can get my son here to help load/unload… maybe tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back