And it begins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a mix of Oaks, mostly red Oak. Started on the pile on the left side of the drive (post 21). Got that load last Fall. The bark is falling off in four foot chunks. Makes a mess cutting and splitting, but nice clean firewood. Put a 20" bar on the 661 today to run until I get the 357xp back from the shop. It is a heavy saw for what I'm doing. I had to move the two log decks to get the trucks in, but up and running again.

tomtom85: $2,100. a 20 cord load (price varies depending on the delivery distance)

Mustang71: I sell firewood.
IMG_4621.jpg

Wow 20 cord load. We get 9-10 on our truck and that pulls hard.
We do treelength though, the heck with 8fters!

ValleyFirewood: Do you unload with a grapple?

There is another guy north of here does ten cord truckloads of 8'. I think he has a winch and sled mounted on the front of a flatbed that pushes the logs off the back. Leaves a long sprawled out pile from the video. Matt was unloaded in thirty minutes from pulling in, to sweeping the deck off and pulling out, maybe less. Nicely stacked.

You have a really nice set up there! I'm so jealous right now looking at the pictures!

Fridays delivery unloading a cord and a half tuckered me out, so I did some other stuff in the afternoon that had nothing to do with firewood. I wish I had more customers like this guy, buying ahead for Fall. Today I did, cut/split, a cord and a half. Beautiful sunny day. More pictures.
IMG_4665 (1).jpg
This is getting set up, and ready to load log decks this morning. I like to clean up the bark and chips each night, so I can get a fresh start. Looks far away, but I'm only standing on the forklift platform.IMG_4669.jpg
Todays efforts...
IMG_4677.jpg
May 6th. Thirteen cord total so far cut and split. Plus rebundling the last years double stacked ones that fell. Moved all the stuff that was covered and double stacked last week, and four deliveries. Good start for me anyways. One cord at a time. I'm just winging it.
Last year I was not very organized (nothing new really). The thing is that the most seasoned wood is buried behind the newer cut stuff. What I did was start three rows of this years wood. Then I was going to leave an isle 12' wide and start again. that way I could access the more seasoned wood. But a 12' isle eats up a lot of space... So that is where I am putting last years wood, in what will be the isle. As I sell last years wood the isle will open up access for next year. If I had four-way pallets (ones that can be picked from any side) it would help, but I do not. So the first three rows on the right are next years wood. The next three rows are this years wood (the pallets are turned so I can pick from the direction your facing). As I work forward, I'll pull from the far left and add to the isle. That should give me room to work from the isle left, with fresh cut/split firewood. Because the lift is wider than the pallets I have to stair step as I work forward on the right side. I've rough estimated room for a total of 104 cord single stacked, 416 pallets. If I sell what I have for this year to make room, then only 364 pallets to go for next year. Lets see where I am in a week, weather and all. I'll have to eat my Cheerios... IMG_4667.jpg
Edit: I also bundled all the junk cut-offs, shorts, partially punky stuff, etc. I gave that stuff away last year. I'm going to try and sell it this year for a few bucks. The junk gets thrown in the row-packs (plastic folding crates) until there are two or three full ones, enough to bundle by throwing it on the conveyor.
IMG_4673.jpg

dewaldf.carstens posted in New Member from South Africa with photos of his operation, including a Tajfun log deck on wheels.
It also has hour glass rollers to feed a processor.

Yesterday while working, I was thinking of his log deck and how I could adapt the Tajfun to what I'm doing with the SuperSplit. The cut table could be built on the Tajfun, and the hour glass rollers, spaced between the 16" cuts, would bump the log to an end stop. It would eliminate both the hand advancing of logs and using the peavy to push or pull them to the stop. The rollers would need a forward and reverse valve. Use a Honda 160 GX, or possible power it off the conveyor. Doing so would be more affordable than larger equipment, plus reduce the time and physical aspect of handling logs manually. I like that it is on wheels to for mobility, and clean up of the work area. Sent email requesting options and pricing this morning. As this thread title says, And It Begins...

PS Thank you dewaldf.carstens, I think?

Taking a break. Lots of 4-5" stuff mixed in today. Makes it harder to get a load on the forks, and lots of cutting for what seems a little bit of firewood. Guess I've been spoiled working the 8-14" stuff.

Yesterday I found a piece of paraffin on the shelf, and tried it on the SuperSplit table/beam. Wow!
I remember KiwiBro saying he used UHMW, but I don't know how I would keep that on. I get stuff wedged under the table as it is along one side of the wedge, and humps the table up. Anyway the paraffin works good and last half a cord or more. It helps with re-splitting, pulling the pieces back to the beam. Don't tell Casey...he is having way too much fun, and splitting small enough already. He will be splitting cook stove size wood.

Sunny, but cold and windy off the big lake again. I heard at the diner this morning that Lake Michigan is up seven inches. However, it has been below average for a number of years.

HA! I look at my stacks and also think I split to small. The splits just can't be all that heavy otherwise it's difficult to maneuver them into the stove. The insert is no problem.

I've got a sheet of 1/2 hdpe here if you want me to size a piece for the table and swing it by. It's not as slippery as the uhmwpe, but it is better than the steel table. It's what I skinned my staging table with. Was thinking it might be fun to make a day of helping you so I can see your operation. I can't picture the table attachment points right now, but my first thought is to add spacers (stacked washers) to lower the table to accommodate the hdpe.

Sent from a field

ValleyFirewood: Do you unload with a grapple?

There is another guy north of here does ten cord truckloads of 8'. I think he has a winch and sled mounted on the front of a flatbed that pushes the logs off the back. Leaves a long sprawled out pile from the video. Matt was unloaded in thirty minutes from pulling in, to sweeping the deck off and pulling out, maybe less. Nicely stacked.

Yeah, loader is mounted on the truck.

Back