When is saw noise acceptable to begin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was cutting a tree from a storm and my "new" next door neighbor came over and tapped me on the shoulder while I was in the cut. It startled me, i swung the saw around and cut his hand off ............................................... almost. You should have seen his face. I thought he was a yellow jacket.

I was cutting a tree from a storm and my "new" next door neighbor came over and tapped me on the shoulder while I was in the cut. It startled me, i swung the saw around and cut his hand off ............................................... almost. You should have seen his face. I thought he was a yellow jacket.
So he/she/it trespassed and physically assaulted you?

Folks I am joking

Depends on local laws. Here a legit business can do whatever they want, so long as it's part of normal operation. Privately we're not to be making too much noise after 11:00. Can't remember how early the noise ordinance is lifted, but it's earlier then 9am. Call your township and ask. They will be able to tell you. Then adjust for courtesy towards your neighbors. I know non of mine care how late I stay up amd make noise. But my wife will kill me if I wake her, or the kids up. That's my limiting factor.
Noise is no issue here. Nearest neighbor I have is 1/4 mile away and I own the house and rent it so if they don't like it, TS. Tractors and tillage and harvest equipment out here make more noise than any chainsaw ever will. That and all the idiots driving up and down the road with no mufflers and boom boxes blaring. Besides, I make a lot more noise shooting my magnum caliber hunting rifles and big bore pistols out back on my private 350 yard shooting range.

Noise is no issue here. Nearest neighbor I have is 1/4 mile away and I own the house and rent it so if they don't like it, TS. Tractors and tillage and harvest equipment out here make more noise than any chainsaw ever will. That and all the idiots driving up and down the road with no mufflers and boom boxes blaring. Besides, I make a lot more noise shooting my magnum caliber hunting rifles and big bore pistols out back on my private 350 yard shooting range.
It's all based on location, and local laws. What I can get away with is vastly different from what the yuppie in the development in town can get away with. Business types can vary as well. My uncles shop is located in a semi residential area, however local laws state he can do basically whatever so long as it's related to normal business. We've had some late nights working in customers equipment and vehicles, but have always tried to be mindful of the people that live in the area. Pissed neighbors arnt good for business, and even if you are in the right, the cops still come out and harass you if you're working too late. Just nice to be mindful.

It's all based on location, and local laws. What I can get away with is vastly different from what the yuppie in the development in town can get away with. Business types can vary as well. My uncles shop is located in a semi residential area, however local laws state he can do basically whatever so long as it's related to normal business. We've had some late nights working in customers equipment and vehicles, but have always tried to be mindful of the people that live in the area. Pissed neighbors arnt good for business, and even if you are in the right, the cops still come out and harass you if you're working too late. Just nice to be mindful.
Sean... In as much as I own all the homes around me (across the road and on both sides of the farm), if any of my renters called the Sheriff on me (no police out here just the Sheriff), that would be the last month they lived there. and with housing is today, at least up here, they would be up the creek in a boat with no paddle. I'm very mindful which is why I keep my rents reasonable. Not out to stick it to anyone but at the same time don't stick it to me because then I'll stick it to you with a smile. When I croak, my wife stands to inherit a fortune and I hop she finds a good man to share it with because I'll be watching.

I do live in a residential area. I wait until 8:00 a.m. If they aren't up by 8:00 a.m. they should be. Sometimes I start earlier if there is a pressing need/reason, but most of the time I try to be respectful. Does anyone remember not calling after 8:00 p.m. (unless someone was dead and most of the time that was only family.)

I do live in a residential area. I wait until 8:00 a.m. If they aren't up by 8:00 a.m. they should be. Sometimes I start earlier if there is a pressing need/reason, but most of the time I try to be respectful. Does anyone remember not calling after 8:00 p.m. (unless someone was dead and most of the time that was only family.)
Well you must remember not everyone works on your schedule.

Working mostly a late shift from spring to fall I will tell you flat out there's no way in heck I'm awake at 8am after getting home at 2am.

I live in a suburban area with 2 acre building lot requirement for new homes but the majority of the existing homes have lots down to a 1/4 acre. On several occasion over the years the politicians have worked towards implementing a noise ordinance and I have fought that an won until a few years ago when I was dealing with my father on his death bed. They implemented a noise ordinance after a new development was being constructed and they hammered ledge for 6 months straight 6 days a week from 6:30am to 6:30 pm. Ultimately the noise ordinance is reasonable, 7am to 9pm with a few obscure restrictions that are allowed 7am to 7pm. I live a mile away from where they were hammering and it was loud at my house. Now they are working on a "hammering ordinance." When doing tree work I don't start a saw until 7:30am and try and hold off on the chipper til 8:30am. I regularly work til 8-9pm. My kids get the school bus at 7am so I guess that is a good guide when to start the day. I do know other contractors who still start up at 6:30am. It is a bit different when you make noise on one day or every day of the year which can wear thin.

QUIETER in the city. I live in the burbs and between mowers-guys with chain saws AT 8 AM and leaf-blowers or trimmers--I'm ready to get back to a quiet CHICAGO!

Working mostly a late shift from spring to fall I will tell you flat out there's no way in heck I'm awake at 8am after getting home at 2am.
There are days I am up 30 hrs. I have done many a double and came home at all times. In college I worked in a factory 10PM-6:30AM came home for a quick shower then off to class. While teaching I worked in a factory and taught 6;30AM to 2:00PM , came home grabbed a shower and went to the factory and worked til 11:00PM. Some summer's and fall's I worked 11:00PM til 7:30 AM then poured concrete during the day.

The point is not everyone works by another person's schedule. I have spent a lifetime working odd schedules just like my father.

QUIETER in the city. I live in the burbs and between mowers-guys with chain saws AT 8 AM and leaf-blowers or trimmers--I'm ready to get back to a quiet CHICAGO!
If you like Chicago please give up your residency and move to Indiana. They need you!!!!! Ole Gary is a calling

I don't but I grew up in a very urban area (city of Cleveland, Ohio, in town) and I'd NEVER go back to that. I married a country gal 36 years ago and she bought the farm we live on now and I had NO ISSUE becoming a country bumpkin. In fact I've done very well both financially and with the community out here in Flyover Country. Out here a mans word is everything and we do business on a handshake still, but you screw over someone just one time and you are mud forever. I like it that way, quite unlike the city or even suburbia. Hell, I get nervous when I get in a populated area now. I look out the window and see acres of field corn presently and we don't lock our doors ever and they keys are usually in the cars as well as the tractors. You don't do that in a populated area. we do and have for years now.

You can take the city or the suburbs and shove them for all I care.

If you like Chicago please give up your residency and move to Indiana. They need you!!!!! Ole Gary is a calling
Actually, we don't need any more of his kid. Transplants from Chicago Land have messed up enough of our politics. Besides that, if someone "likes" Chicago, Gary, IN probably doesn't do a very good job of representing the those aspects that they like.

Actually, we don't need any more of his kid. Transplants from Chicago Land have messed up enough of our politics. Besides that, if someone "likes" Chicago, Gary, IN probably doesn't do a very good job of representing the those aspects that they like.
Indiana needs Chicago, Wisconsin needs Northern Illinois, Iowa needs Western Illinois, and the rest of the state will thrive.

Back