When is saw noise acceptable to begin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezvet

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Another newbie question for y'all; my little shop is in a residential neighborhood with two neighbors within about 100 ft. In consideration of them, I have been withholding saw testing/starting/tuning until after 9 am with no complaints...yet. When do other shops begin testing outside?

Depends on local laws. Here a legit business can do whatever they want, so long as it's part of normal operation. Privately we're not to be making too much noise after 11:00. Can't remember how early the noise ordinance is lifted, but it's earlier then 9am. Call your township and ask. They will be able to tell you. Then adjust for courtesy towards your neighbors. I know non of mine care how late I stay up amd make noise. But my wife will kill me if I wake her, or the kids up. That's my limiting factor.

Depends on local laws. Here a legit business can do whatever they want, so long as it's part of normal operation. Privately we're not to be making too much noise after 11:00. Can't remember how early the noise ordinance is lifted, but it's earlier then 9am. Call your township and ask. They will be able to tell you. Then adjust for courtesy towards your neighbors. I know non of mine care how late I stay up amd make noise. But my wife will kill me if I wake her, or the kids up. That's my limiting factor.
Good common sense. I'm in front of the TV by 8 pm, so that's not a factor. Ditto on waking wife equaling dent in marital bliss. Kids (and grandkids) too far away to wake. Thanks

I wait until 8:30 AM which is opening time. I am also in a very rural town and they have heard me for 40+ years. Test area and wood supply is at the back of the shop. No one has ever complained. From the looks of the pile of saws for repair I won't be stopping right away. Not bad for a "stealership".
Maybe some should check out what we really make for profit. No where what you think.

I wait until 8:30 AM which is opening time. I am also in a very rural town and they have heard me for 40+ years. Test area and wood supply is at the back of the shop. No one has ever complained. From the looks of the pile of saws for repair I won't be stopping right away. Not bad for a "stealership".
Maybe some should check out what we really make for profit. No where what you think.
Sounds about right. Being semi-retired, I have the luxury of limiting my workload and noisy times. I try to save the smoke and thunder for afternoons when possibe.

Another newbie question for y'all; my little shop is in a residential neighborhood with two neighbors within about 100 ft. In consideration of them, I have been withholding saw testing/starting/tuning until after 9 am with no complaints...yet. When do other shops begin testing outside?
Talk to your neighbors and ask them.

I see a lot of great replies but not one guy asked how you were zoned. Are you zoned as a commercial business and the residential neighbors surrounded you? Of course Ag noise is different and we operate 24-7 sometimes. Out here we are AG1 and when a housing development pops up next to land it is disheartening but comical. They seem to think they will get to dictate what we do. I have pulled into a field a 3AM to chisel. Depending on the Fall weather there were years where we did not start until after a bit of frost so around 11PM. When anhydrous needs to go on that is a solid 24 hrs a day a day 7 days a week for up to two months for the custom guys.

The easy answer is be a good neighbor but stand your ground if you are zoned correctly. If you are operating out of your garage well then be a even better neighbor.

I see a lot of great replies but not one guy asked how you were zoned. Are you zoned as a commercial business and the residential neighbors surrounded you? Of course Ag noise is different and we operate 24-7 sometimes. Out here we are AG1 and when a housing development pops up next to land it is disheartening but comical. They seem to think they will get to dictate what we do. I have pulled into a field a 3AM to chisel. Depending on the Fall weather there were years where we did not start until after a bit of frost so around 11PM. When anhydrous needs to go on that is a solid 24 hrs a day a day 7 days a week for up to two months for the custom guys.

The easy answer is be a good neighbor but stand your ground if you are zoned correctly. If you are operating out of your garage well then be a even better neighbor.
I see that as a slightly different question. You are working your own ag land (or on contract, or rented ground, or whatever).

I'm hired and brought into a neighborhood. I want another neighbor to hire me to take care of their trees too. If their first impression of me is that I woke up their baby at 7:00 am, that is not a first impression I want to leave.

I see that as a slightly different question. You are working your own ag land (or on contract, or rented ground, or whatever).

I'm hired and brought into a neighborhood. I want another neighbor to hire me to take care of their trees too. If their first impression of me is that I woke up their baby at 7:00 am, that is not a first impression I want to leave.
Sir, the poster was asking a question regarding his privately owned saw shop not operating as a tree business on other folks property. I actually see my example as being pretty closely related. Now IF he was operating a tree business and doing business on OTHER folks property that is where zoning would become irrelevant and I would fully agree with what you said.

Here is post #1

That still sounds like a shop that opened in the neighborhood, not a neighborhood that built up around a shop (or, in your case, around an agricultural operation). He still needs a good reputation.

I do agree with you that it does depend, in part, on zoning. I'd suggest it also depends on what else is happening all around. If it is generally a heavy commercial area, and zoned as such and there is other noise, I'd be less concerned about the saws. But if it is generally a neighborhood, even if there is no zoning or no rules against it, I still wouldn't run saws until 9:00. Just my opinion. I get that there are circumstances that don't allow for that flexibility. I don't even consider what you outlined to be out of line or disrespectful - there are some things that are very time sensitive. But to me, there are other things that always need to happen doing small engine maintenance. Something can be cleaned. Chains can be sharpened. Part orders submitted. Invoices paid. Etc... then start the saws. Perhaps even watch the neighbors...if they all head off to work every day, or mow their lawns at 8 in the morning, maybe I'd be less concerned about the noise.

This is an issue for me too. Living in a close neibourhood, houses within feet of my back garden, i'm a bit paranoid about pissing people off with the sounds of the saws. Normally leave it until gone 9am, usually around 10am, that way most people would be up and about or left for work.

Keep working till you receive a complaint about noise. To remain on safe side, you can also ask the township or the administration of your town about the noise laws and rules regulations in your area.

Latest posts

Back