And my delivered load...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Surprised I haven't had to break out smelling salts given the shocked reaction of any of my friends I told I was buying a load:

2-1/2 cords of Red Oak logs, $250. Haven't measured it, but it eyeballed OK to me and was delivered in the right size truck to hold 2-1/2 cords volume and weight wise.

PB271952_small.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm trying to clean up around the edges of the lawn including clearing an area that I want to plant a small orchard. So my production rate is real low and most of the wood is Red Maple which I'd rather not try heating with in the middle of winter (though I have in the past).

Would love to get a grapple load (7-8 cords around here) someday to really get ahead on my firewooding. Felling, cleaning up, loading takes up a bit of time. But I detest buying that much at once until I also know I can buy a more efficient stove for it.

Surprised I haven't had to break out smelling salts given the shocked reaction of any of my friends I told I was buying a load:

2-1/2 cords of Red Oak logs, $250. Haven't measured it, but it eyeballed OK to me and was delivered in the right size truck to hold 2-1/2 cords volume and weight wise.

PB271952_small.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm trying to clean up around the edges of the lawn including clearing an area that I want to plant a small orchard. So my production rate is real low and most of the wood is Red Maple which I'd rather not try heating with in the middle of winter (though I have in the past).

Would love to get a grapple load (7-8 cords around here) someday to really get ahead on my firewooding. Felling, cleaning up, loading takes up a bit of time. But I detest buying that much at once until I also know I can buy a more efficient stove for it.

Looks like 2.45 cords to me!.............:msp_biggrin:

Speaking of Red Oak...I've been burning a Black Birch was has really impressed me as firewood -- splits easily, throws serious heat. Decent coaling. This was the only one I had and it needed to go for access reasons.

Finally looked up the BTU Chart while eating my breakfast:

BTUs/cord:
Birch, Black 24.2
Oak, Red 22.1
Maple, Red 20.0 (And I think that's generous...same chart lists Silver Maple at 17.0 and that's more what I'd say my wood puts out).

Looks like I should've saved it for deep winter! I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

Speaking of Red Oak...I've been burning a Black Birch was has really impressed me as firewood -- splits easily, throws serious heat. Decent coaling. This was the only one I had and it needed to go for access reasons.

Finally looked up the BTU Chart while eating my breakfast:

BTUs/cord:
Birch, Black 24.2
Oak, Red 22.1
Maple, Red 20.0 (And I think that's generous...same chart lists Silver Maple at 17.0 and that's more what I'd say my wood puts out).

Looks like I should've saved it for deep winter! I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

I didn't even know we had black birch around here. I have some yellow birch on my property but that's it. The only seller I know around that would deliver a triaxle load is Hull. I think they want like $900 for 7 - 8 cord though. Seemed like a bit much to me.

Back