and now the myth falls and truth wins the day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i was up a nothern and noticed that the saws that are coming in now have an hrs of service u can expect sticker.
i hope this is due to some new regulation. if so this can be the end to color of plastic determining quality.
i sure hope so . everything ought to stand on its own merit. be it stihl, husky, shindaiwa,poulan , homelite whatever.
its a move in the right direction,if its what i think it is. jmho
ps i noticed all the new poulan stuff at the box stores have mostly 50 hrs[125 for poulan pro] expected use. seems dealers would like this as it will let the public know they arnt getting pro stuff even if it looks like it from box stores

Sounds almost too good to be true!

What kind of a ball park figure, hour wise, do you think we might expect from saws that are pro rated from Jonsevarna and Stihl

Frank

I think those stickers are just to show how long a saw is expected to be within emissions standards without a rebuild being done. It might be a different sticker than I am thinking of though.

Kentucky Kev is right, those stickers are about the "emmissions life" of the saw. A lthough I would bet the poulan Tony saw would be about 5 hours over that for total life expectancy.

the exact wds are ,durability period 50 hrs. then on some theres mention of duration of emmission control features.
i for one hope they are going to give legitimate durability hrs,as derived from legitimate, standardised test to show
what can be expected of a machine. it sure would clear the muddy water.now im the worlds worst at using homeowner in commercial work.usually i can make one last. but pro units are made for day in day out use,and this would im sure be reflected in these ratings.an example is the homelite strait trimmer rated at 150 hrs a the depo, versus the strait echo trimmer rated 1150 hrs .id like to see this info on all equipment sold.

Some time back I heard that echo chain saws are expected to return a service life of 400 hrs. That would be 1200 tanks of gas, or if you used the 50cc saw that holds about 20 oz, (6 tanks/gal) 200 gallons of gas. In a seasoned user's hands that would mean about 200 cords of firewood, plus several other things like a few dozen pruning jobs, 35 or so storm damaged limbs, and maybe 50 spear-fishing holes in the ice. That would take 15 to 20 years for all but the most serious consumer to accomplish. All for an initial price of $375.

Now, for 1/2 the price, you could have a "Tim the Toolman Bad Boy".

And it would last how long?

Latest posts

Back