Andy's Christmas 460 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
instead of a pin why not mill the fins a tad flater ? sure seems like it would be easier to index in :msp_unsure:

The pin is just added holding power......don't want any accidental movement. You have to be careful with the amount of pressure on the ears of the cylinder. I found it easier with the pin being there, to Zero the cylinder with the dial indicator, while tightening the bolts. I never will claim to be a machinist, and have on occasion gotten greedy with taking alittle more material than I should have......Hahahahahaha!....who has done that EH!.....so I figure the more holding power the better.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
LOL, that was quick!! Was wondering who would be the first.

FYI Dennis I'm not talking about your Johnson.

Sure. . . Ya say that now. :laugh:

I envision a boring bar of sorts for that type work. I know a lot of machinists make their own tooling, including boring bars.

The local shop here said they'd do 11" deep, before it gets sketchy.

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
Thanks Dennis. Thats what my simple mind drew up in my mental Auto-cad. But seemed like the force and pressure would have been too great for the studs, and somethings gotta give :D

Gotta get my tractor shed built, and get the mill home!! :) You guys are inspiring!

Merry Christmas Andy, you are gonna love the 460!

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
The boring bars that I have won't cut the end of the bore though.

Make ya one then mang. . . Should be fairly straight forward. If you're an insert type guy, ya make a boring bar with an end that the insert will faced forward. Cut here, grind there, drill and tap, done.

I'm sure Nik could hook ya up with ideas, or a tool he already has for cutting a dead-end.

chainsaw kid

chainsaw kid

ArboristSite Operative
If your boring bar is sticking out too far and you start to chatter, wrapping an elastic band around the base may absorb some of the chatter.

Wow, I must have a dirty mind. I was thinking elastic band around balls till they fall off...lol...

Kevin

FATGUY

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Make ya one then mang. . . Should be fairly straight forward. If you're an insert type guy, ya make a boring bar with an end that the insert will faced forward. Cut here, grind there, drill and tap, done.

I'm sure Nik could hook ya up with ideas, or a tool he already has for cutting a dead-end.

that kinda confuses me, I'd like to see a pic. All bbars have to be end cutting or you couldn't bore at all. Most have a 5 degree lead angle but they can be bought with no lead angle. Those are usually used in boring heads and not on a lathe. Now if he meant his boring head can not face, most can't.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
that kinda confuses me, I'd like to see a pic. All bbars have to be end cutting or you couldn't bore at all. Most have a 5 degree lead angle but they can be bought with no lead angle. Those are usually used in boring heads and not on a lathe. Now if he meant his boring head can not face, most can't.

I'm not a machinist (I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but I have a half assed idea of the boring bars (kind'a). Most are for cutting the side of the bore, no?

I was saying, if the HSS bit (or insert) couldn't be positioned to cut the dead-end of the bore, a guy could make one where all the angles were right to do it.

I really regret not taking metal shop in High School, I took wood shop instead. I'm playing catch-up now with milling and turning. I sub to a few Tube channels of some dang good machinists, and I'm picking up a lot.

Does what I'm saying make sense or am I full of ####? :laugh:

FATGUY

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not a machinist (I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but I have a half assed idea of the boring bars (kind'a). Most are for cutting the side of the bore, no?

I was saying, if the HSS bit (or insert) couldn't be positioned to cut the dead-end of the bore, a guy could make one where all the angles were right to do it.

I really regret not taking metal shop in High School, I took wood shop instead. I'm playing catch-up now with milling and turning. I sub to a few Tube channels of some dang good machinists, and I'm picking up a lot.

Does what I'm saying make sense or am I full of ####? :laugh:

I'm just trying to be helpful here, I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. While bbars do cut the diameter they need to be able to be fed through the bore. I'm assuming Will is using a bbar that was designed with a lead angle that would not produce a face perpendicular to the bore.

Latest posts