another CL math is off thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
So I see this ad for ash seasoned firewood for 70 bucks a full size truckload. I text the seller and ask how much to fill my trailer that holds 2 cords. he tells me 225 a cord. the "seasoned" wood was cut and split in july. so a full size 8' bed holds half a cord = 70 bucks x2 equals 140 a cord. two cord using 4 truck trips would be 280 bucks. so 280 for 4 trips or 450 for 2 cord in one trip... uhm, ok....

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/for/4784857059.html

Did you offer him $280? If he declined then move on....craigslist is such a joke most of the time.

I asked him how much to fill my trailer that holds two cord. he said 225 a cord. I then said a 8' pickup truck holds 1/2 a cord. 70x2 is 140 and 140x 2 is 280. 280 bucks for about 2 cord = or -. or 225x2 for one trip for 2 cord. I then said wood cut and split 6 months ago wasn't seasoned and he told me to take my arrogant azz and lose his number. I tried to explain as nice as possible he was trying to take advantage of customers. I also explained how wood cut and split in july was not seasoned. He wanted to argue. He had no idea what a moisture meter was, or what seasoned would MC should be. If I was close to him, I'd make 4 trips, but not paying almost double for green wood (in my epa stove). He then told me to buzz off, he didn't sell wood by the cord.

I asked him how much to fill my trailer that holds two cord. he said 225 a cord. I then said a 8' pickup truck holds 1/2 a cord. 70x2 is 140 and 140x 2 is 280. 280 bucks for about 2 cord = or -. or 225x2 for one trip for 2 cord. I then said wood cut and split 6 months ago wasn't seasoned and he told me to take my arrogant azz and lose his number. I tried to explain as nice as possible he was trying to take advantage of customers. I also explained how wood cut and split in july was not seasoned. He wanted to argue. He had no idea what a moisture meter was, or what seasoned would MC should be. If I was close to him, I'd make 4 trips, but not paying almost double for green wood (in my epa stove). He then told me to buzz off, he didn't sell wood by the cord.
You can't argue with that logic!

I'm guessing he doesn't want to deal with measuring / stacking so just sells by truck loads.

To sell by the cord he probably figured he would have to stack to measure hence the higher price.

The only way to accurately measure is to stack. I have some stacked in third cords. Some I stack in my loader bucket when loading to measure.

never-argue-with-stupid-people.jpg

that is all... :chainsaw:

This guy is local to me...I think I'm gonna call him up and screw with him a bit, ask him how much to put 4 truck loads worth on my trailer! :laugh: I'll let y'all know how it goes...

He's in my hometown, and north of it where all the real billy's are... Hence, why I moved from there. lol. his price wasn't bad, but... this lack of coherent-ness amuses me.

that's interesting. He's in the overton area. I hate thieves. he claims his father runs a timber cutting business and he's been selling wood for years. I know most of the timber cutters in and around that area and they all know what a cord of wood is.

70 bucks for a full size pickup load of wood even tossed in and not stacked sounds like a good deal to me. A great deal if it was stacked. I would also have no problem selling 6 month old Ash as seasoned wood.

This guy is local to me...I think I'm gonna call him up and screw with him a bit, ask him how much to put 4 truck loads worth on my trailer! :laugh: I'll let y'all know how it goes...

Ok, so I calls this guy last night, got his VM, I left no message but I did text him. He calls me back 5 minutes later when I'm on the phone with somebody else, he left no message but then responded to my text. I asked how much to fill a 16' x 8' trailer 2'-3' high and if he will load it. I figure that would equal ~ 2.5 cords or so on the trailer. He text me back today $675!
After I coughed my tongue back up I decided to call the guy and get an explanation on how he arrived at such a ridiculous number. He started to explain his math but he soon realized that he had doubled what he thought my trailer would hold (he was trying to figure this out by using "ricks"...oh and BTW, the wood is cut to 20" long, so figuring "by the rick" in your head is gonna be a challenge for most anybody!) Anyways, after realizing that he doubled my "order" he says he'll go $240 for that load plus a couple bucks extra if he helps us load (by hand) At this point I'm thinking, OK, so if you doubled it, then the price would be half, no? Half of $675 would be $337.50, not $240. :dizzy:
He was pleasant enough to me but he is obviously NOT a math professor and I'm not really in the market for his wood anyways (even though that is not a bad price) as I have 3 years ahead (at least) and also just scored several truckloads of Ash for free that was already cut and only 3 miles from the house.
In the end I guess this wasn't as much fun as I thought it was gonna be since the guy never really got "jerky" on me, he just "seems" like an average high school edjamacated Joe Shmoe trying to make an extra buck on the side, but it could turn out differently if I had actual dealings with 'im...who knows...just an update and my 2 cents

Ok, so I calls this guy last night, got his VM, I left no message but I did text him. He calls me back 5 minutes later when I'm on the phone with somebody else, he left no message but then responded to my text. I asked how much to fill a 16' x 8' trailer 2'-3' high and if he will load it. I figure that would equal ~ 2.5 cords or so on the trailer. He text me back today $675!
After I coughed my tongue back up I decided to call the guy and get an explanation on how he arrived at such a ridiculous number. He started to explain his math but he soon realized that he had doubled what he thought my trailer would hold (he was trying to figure this out by using "ricks"...oh and BTW, the wood is cut to 20" long, so figuring "by the rick" in your head is gonna be a challenge for most anybody!) Anyways, after realizing that he doubled my "order" he says he'll go $240 for that load plus a couple bucks extra if he helps us load (by hand) At this point I'm thinking, OK, so if you doubled it, then the price would be half, no? Half of $675 would be $337.50, not $240. :dizzy:
He was pleasant enough to me but he is obviously NOT a math professor and I'm not really in the market for his wood anyways (even though that is not a bad price) as I have 3 years ahead (at least) and also just scored several truckloads of Ash for free that was already cut and only 3 miles from the house.
In the end I guess this wasn't as much fun as I thought it was gonna be since the guy never really got "jerky" on me, he just "seems" like an average high school edjamacated Joe Shmoe trying to make an extra buck on the side, but it could turn out differently if I had actual dealings with 'im...who knows...just an update and my 2 cents

So you waste the poor guys time, he gives you a great price and you don't buy anything. Your are a gentleman and a scholar.:confused:

BTW, his ad said, pickup loads only.

So you waste the poor guys time, he gives you a great price and you don't buy anything. Your are a gentleman and a scholar.:confused:

No it didn't. Learn to read

Pickup only means no delivery. It said 70 bucks a fullsize bed Negotiable on smaller trucks.

Meh (shrug) if it seemed like he was selling wood to make ends meet for his family or something like that then I'd prolly feel bad and go get a load. But as Freaky said earlier, he is just splitting off daddy's log pile and acted like he really didn't want to make too many large sales because then he'd hafta go split more...oh, and thanks for the compliment! :rolleyes: :D

No it didn't. Learn to read

Pickup only means no delivery. It said 70 bucks a fullsize bed Negotiable on smaller trucks.

What pray tell do you think this means, and I quote from the Ad:

Pickup only - seasoned ash...$70 is for a full-sized bed. Negotiable if smaller truck is used.

$70 is for a full sized bed. This means a 8' pick up up truck. Smaller truck means 6' truck. The ad makes no mention of dump trailers. The poor schmuck has no reference for anything other than that so don't criticize him for it. He obviously does not want to deliver it.

Life is real simple. Buy what he has if you want/like it or move on if you don't.

I have an incredible grasp of the obvious and I interpret this to mean, You are trying to screw with him.
But, that's not what ended up happening...if you read my update you will see that I was kinda expecting some kind of smart azz scammer type and what I got was average joe. We discussed load size and price, I thanked him for his time and hung up, no "screwing" with him. I had a 6 minute and 22 second conversation with him so I don't think I really put him out too much. Giving estimates is part of doing business and he is the one that posted an ad on CL so I think he is gonna be expecting some "price" calls. Heck when I post CL ads I pretty much know I'm gonna spend some time on the phone dealing with "looky-lous" before I sell my stuff, no big deal to me.
You are acting like I had him drive to my house, spend an hour looking over my "project" and then he had to spend two hours putting together an estimate for me, all the while I knew that I was just "shopping"
I'm not trying to get an argument going here, if ya wanna do that Spidey has a good one going over on the "people are stupid" thread. I'm sure he wouldn't mind another participant...

What pray tell do you think this means, and I quote from the Ad:

Pickup only - seasoned ash...$70 is for a full-sized bed. Negotiable if smaller truck is used.

$70 is for a full sized bed. This means a 8' pick up up truck. Smaller truck means 6' truck. The ad makes no mention of dump trailers. The poor schmuck has no reference for anything other than that so don't criticize him for it. He obviously does not want to deliver it.

Life is real simple. Buy what he has if you want/like it or move on if you don't.
Off topic but this post reminds me of a funny story. I had a guy show up on my yard one day riding an antique motorcycle with a side car. He asked how much firewood he could get for $10. I told him he could take as much as he could carry, naively thinking he wouldn't leave with much wood. I swear to god the guy managed to stuff 200 pounds of wood into the side car and drove off with a big smile. Kind of made my day even thought the guy left with about 50 bucks worth of wood.

Latest posts

Back