Another dead Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is a 42cc Poulan Pro 4218, owner said "won't start, never ran very well either, piece of junk, wouldn't buy another". Wouldn't start because alcohol in the fuel had destroyed fuel lines, also check valve in carb was stuck open, even fuel cap was swollen and could hardly be removed. In addition there was scouring on the piston and cylinder and the condition of the plug and muffler indicated the saw had been running too lean. The big problem with these saws is they are purchased from box stores and have never been tested or set up to run right and the nominal carb settings from the factory are rarely correct and often way too lean. The saws are bought by people who know nothing about chainsaws and as long as they sort of work, they run them as they are until they self-destruct. This is how these saws get a bad reputation and it's a damn shame because these gold body Poulan Pros are actually a decent saw. A good design, high quality components and are easy to work on. Unlike the bottom of the Poulan line, these saws have a chrome plated bore and and when tuned properly, they give a long, trouble free life.

Attachments

• PP 4218.JPG
    PP 4218.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 22
Its about the same scenario with any of the cheaper homeowner grade saws sold from big box stores. Heck even the lowly Poulan Wild Thing can cut firewood for years on end if looked after.I know one such fellow that has well over 50 cords of firewood on his WT but it gets looked after religiously.

Its about the same scenario with any of the cheaper homeowner grade saws sold from big box stores. Heck even the lowly Poulan Wild Thing can cut firewood for years on end if looked after.I know one such fellow that has well over 50 cords of firewood on his WT but it gets looked after religiously.
I probly had more then that on my wild thing befor a gave to a feiend who needed a saw. It wss a little slower cuttimg but was a good saw. Little hard to start when warm.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I probly had more then that on my wild thing befor a gave to a feiend who needed a saw. It wss a little slower cuttimg but was a good saw. Little hard to start when warm.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I sharpen the chain for him twice each fall, other than that it gets the best mix, emptied when through cutting, kept reasonably clean but has never had a part replaced. He is never in a rush, may cut a cord per day but never forces the saw to cut, lets it do the cutting and uses good bar oil,keeps the airfilter clean. He actually thinks us saw nuts are a tad crazy paying big dollars for just a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back