Another 'Free Firewood' Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just a note. Tree company was working on some monster trees in my neighbor's yard. Was more than happy to set stuff over my fence with their loader than to haul it away, especially with the cost of fuel what it is today.

Just asked them nicely, and it was a win-win situation. Not sure how far they would have carried it if I did not live right there, but it sure seemed that if I had a truck or trailer and did not get into their way, that they would loaded me and let me have as much as I wanted.

The only unfortunate part us that I live in the city and don't have the room (or the need) for super quantities of firewood. This was a removal of a silver maple (70+ feet tall, 36"+ dbh, with huge canopy), heavy trimming of another similar maple and a similar sized ash. Several cords of wood if I had had the need or the room.

Also got to watch them work from my dining room window.

Philbert

Take the Ash first

That's what the tree guys suggested too. But we are in an emerald ash borer (EAB) quarantine area. Can't move firewood outside of the county.

So, while this tree did not appear to be infected, and while I can move it across the alley, I know that in reality it will probably sit for a few years. I don't want the firewood police to show up a year or two down the road and make me 'de-bark' my firewood pile. We had something similar a while back where they did not want any elm firewood around if it still had bark on it.

Since we burn mostly recreationally, and since the silver maple is so much fun to split, that's what I took, despite the lower heat content.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back