Another Homelite EZ that was a pain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Guy gave me a Homelite EZ Automatic that he said was running good when stored for about 5 years and gas dried up in the tank and carb and he could not get it too go.

I could get a pop and brief run when primed. Installed new spark plug, still same. Gas line checked ok with Vac/pressure and the tank filter was clean and tank not very trashy. Compression seemed good, removed muffler and all looked good inside, checked compression as great, removed carb and went ahead and did the pressure/vac test on the block seals since it was a old saw and too maybe save time. All Ok on pressure/vac test. Went ahead and opened points box (wico) and points were at .010, reset to .015 and cleaned all inside and re-installed flywheel and checked fire as good.

When I opened the carb it was really clean and I called the guy and he said he installed a kit in the carb and got aggravated with the saw as not running and it was very gummy and also the gas tank looked bad.
I went ahead and cleaned the carb in a ultrasonic and new kit, new screens, checked lever height as right on.
Installed (really a pain to get installed due to the hooked linkage underneath, but I can do it now in about 3 minutes.
total. I left the muffler off and got the saw to start and it would run somewhat and sounded like a JD popping Johnnie tractor and the H jet had a large impact on the idling and could see it was flooding bad with raw out muffler port and smoke. When re-started would be flooded.
I removed the carb from the saw and hooked my mityvac to the inlet carb fuel line and Pressured (not vacuum) to 5 psi and it would immediately bleed back to about 1 or 2 psi. I removed the lower metering diaphragm cover and noticed I could apply little bit of up pressure to the metering lever the pressure would stay a 4-5 lbs. I cleaned the needle seat and still same. I removed the metering lever and stretched the itty bitty spring just little and tested all as holding at 4-5 psi.
Re-installed carb and all adjusted and ran great. If I had a replacement carb available for replacement this one would have been in the trash can.
Summary: If a Walbro HDC type carb is erratic and not adjusting correctly after kitting try a pressure test of the input fuel line and if wont hold 4-5 psi pressure clean the needle seat or fiddle with the little metering lever spring. I did not go above 5 psi when using the combination mityvac pressure/vac pump silverline 04000. I think maybe the current models for the pressure/Vac pump is maybe a MV8500 but not sure.
The mityvac pressure/vacuum pumps are great if you piddle with small engines and automotive stuff and also allows you to bleed brakes by yourself. (and not have to try and communicate with the wife);)

Lol, I like the being able to bleed brakes without the wife part!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back