another husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a husqvarna today that I traded a gun for. The guy told me it was a 390 but after I got there I saw that the tag says 385 xp but top cover and recoil says 390. Just hoping you guys could clarify the difference or how I can tell? My computer is down now but will be posting pics when can.

It's a 09 model I think. So I'm guessing its easy to just swap out topend, And crankcaes and carb are same?

Do all of these have a limited coil? If so I'm lookin to buy an unlimited one.

385 is 54mm and 390 is 55 mm bores. I have an air filter and extra carb for a 390 laying around matt.

Isn't there some info on the serial number plate to definitively answer this?

The plate says its a 385 but all the plastic says 390 don't know if its a 390 with 385 crankcase or a 385 eith all 390 plastic. That's why I was asking differences in the two.

Picked up a husqvarna today that I traded a gun for. The guy told me it was a 390 but after I got there I saw that the tag says 385 xp but top cover and recoil says 390. Just hoping you guys could clarify the difference or how I can tell? My computer is down now but will be posting pics when can.

Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly so as not to create any more confusion.
:D

As far as I know. It's hard to tell without measureing the bore when you get a piece meal saw.

serial # dont mean crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked at a shop a long time ago that would swap P+C on NEW saws, he went out of buisness pretty quick LOL

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to see. A 390 top on 385 case. Really does not matter though both sound like good saws.

What's difference in clutch and pump?

Clutch for the 390 was supposedly a heavier duty unit. (Different spring type) 503975001 - 385, 537137972 - 390

Oil pump for the 385 was the adjustment screw where the 390 had a three position adjustment. 503521302 - 385, 503521305 - 390.

My 385 had the 390 oil pump as it was a late 385. The instructions for oil adjustment in the owners manual was as per 385 but adjusted as per 390. It was easy to break the adjuster if you tried to "screw" the adjuster.

At times parts from either were found on either.

Back