Another large oak with armillaria

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another interesting thing to point out is that there are 3 Sub-Genus of Quercus, Lepidodalnus (white), Erythrobalanus (red) & Protobalanus (live or Intermediate) (How come the italics on this site don't work?). Post Oak is in the white group and Black Jack is in the red. One rather resistant to Oak Wilt the other extremely prone. The common problem of supposed Arborists not being able to distinguish between these two species is why the Forest service has to beat us over the heads about dressing pruning wounds on ALL oaks.

I believe it has been mentioned several times on this thread the importance of a positive identification of this disease. Whatever the species the tree is.

The link that jomoco kindly attached (and UC Davis is one of my favorite sites) states in one paragraph that "there is no truly effective control for armillaria root rot". Then under cultural control in the next paragraph "exposing the infected root crown and upper root area in a tree infected with armillaria melea has been found to stop the development of the fungus into the crown area and allow the tree to regrow".

Again, as has been stated several times, I would think the root crown excavation will help answer whether or not treatment is warranted by how much and where the roots are affected. And ultimately allow an informed decision as to the fate of this beautiful specimen tree.

Sylvia

Nevic, pleased to meet you also. :dizzy: Welcome to the site.

Might it be time for somebody to post a picture of a leaf?

Dave

...(How come the italics on this site don't work?). Post Oak is...

Highlight what you want italicized, then hit ctrl-shift-i. Instant italics ! (I had to test it before I sent it)

These controls work for many computer programs. You just have to try them to see if they work in whatever you are using:
CTRL-Shift-B = Bold
CTRL-Shift-C = centered
CTRL-Shift-U = underlined
CTRL-Shift-I = Italic
Don't forget the ever useful: CTRL-Shift-spacebar = normal text

Last edited:
I agree that positively identifying the fungus is paramount but Identifying the tree is pretty important too. I'll post pictures after I visit the site, I hear there is a cold beer in it for me. If it turns out I need to eat my hat I'll post a picture of that too. I did not sign up to be snotty so sorry if I came out of the blue as being course.

Ok, I have some pictures and one of them is of me eating my hat! I have to figure out how to re size. Armillaria? Maybe, maybe not. There were no active mushrooms and the sample was pretty degraded. I will say that I could not find shoe strings and the stem did not have the classic raised ring under the cap also I have to say that the original picture that was posted looked a little to orange (I've already put my foot in my mouth over the pics). There is decay on the N. root crown and lower trunk and ribs are developing on the S. & W. sides of the trunk, I got a nice hollow sound from behind the west rib. While the root crown is relatively well exposed girdling roots are present just at the surface. While this tree is certainly at an elevated risk for failure, I would not be the one to fire up a chainsaw with out first blowing out the buttress for a few feet and trying get a live wood ratio with some drilling. With some care this trees life in the landscape can be extended, but I can't say it will be safe. This would be a great tree for someones cow pasture but I can't say I'd want my kids playing under it. Should Ron take it out? Depends on the level of risk that he's willing to accept. Excavation will give him a better picture of that. Long story short, while this tree may need to come down, if it were mine I'd want to know more.

Ron, If your still following this, I'll send your batteries back to you via Tracie.

Interestingly enough, The first Arborist that met with Ron told him that this was a rare hill country "Limestone Oak" any Texas folks ever heard of it, I could not find anything on that one.

That's good idea; the first guy gave a hack opinion.

Treeseer, turns out that both the fellows that looked at the tree before me are both very reputable individuals. By the time the second fellow and then myself got there a positive ID could not be made (at least by me). If it is Armillaria the tree should go. stay tuned for that picture with the hat.

That's good idea; the first guy gave a hack opinion.

Treeseer, turns out that both the fellows that looked at the tree before me are both very reputable individuals. By the time the second fellow and then myself got there a positive ID could not be made (at least by me). If it is Armillaria the tree should go. stay tuned for that picture with the hat.

I hope yu boiled it first Nev!

jomoco

If an arb. had routinely inspected these trees in passing for a nominal fee....and the girdling root had been observed and intervened upon.....

Eating his hat.

attachment.php

Leaf:

attachment.php

Fruiting body:

attachment.php

Appears to be Armillaria (refer to pg. 17 Wood Decay Fungi). Can we see the potential infection site? Are we assuming the vector is the girdling roots?

Ok, I have some pictures and one of them is of me eating my hat! I have to figure out how to re size. Armillaria? Maybe, maybe not. There were no active mushrooms and the sample was pretty degraded. I will say that I could not find shoe strings and the stem did not have the classic raised ring under the cap

Surprised no shoestrings in the canker

So, have we reached a consensus that due to multiple high value targets, this beautiful armillaria infected blackjack's gambling days should be brought to a safe end recommendation?

And if the answer is yes, which armillaria resistant tree do you recommend replacing it with?

I'll go with a magnolia, beautiful huge white flowers, but a tad messy.

jomoco

Last edited:
Back