Another large removal for your veiwing pleasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Great Stuff Roger,,,,

As usual!!!!!!!!:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :givebeer: did ya make any salvage on the Lumber with chips???

Last edited:
Nice work RB, those 120 hydro's are sweet ain't they!

Two days??? I assume it was just one day of crane, right?

jomoco

Question How do you keep saw from binding

Great work RB. :)

I've never used a crane before .... how do you keep the saw from binding during the cut? Is it because the crane is applying so much upward force that the cut can't close?

I've never used a crane before .... how do you keep the saw from binding during the cut? Is it because the crane is applying so much upward force that the cut can't close?

I don't know about how RB likes to do it, but I like to start my cut on the pinch side, usually the side facing the crane, and finish on the lift side, the side where the choker completes it's circle and runs up to the hook.

Crane operators almost invariably prefer to bring the load toward them, particularly heavy loads anywhere near their limit.

Circumstance dictates technique.

jomoco

Crane operators almost invariably prefer to bring the load toward them, particularly heavy loads anywhere near their limit.

Some of the operators will like to put a lot of force on the load, but that is not a god thing to do.

I've not done as many crane jobs as these guys, but I like to have them just tighten up the cable to start then as I make the back cut have tension brought in to get it near the estimated load weight.

Only when the load separates should there be any more force then nessesary.

Tearing it off is a bad thing, having the load pop up more then an inch or so is bad too. Especially if you are boomed out far and near limits. If you are on big wood, and the boom is retracted far, it may be good to have it move up and away from you...

Away is always a good thing.

Being able to ream helps a lot. You learn to place the ball and choker to lift on the side you will finish the cut.
Like Jomoco said, the crane operator likes to bring the piece to him, so except in extreme circumstances, I like to be on the far side of the trunk, facing the crane when I finish the cut.
Like JPS said, having a big peice pop loose and go bouncing around is not a good thing. Espeicially If it starts bouncing the crane around. I once had to have a heart to heart with a construction crane operator over this while my partner was in the tree.

Nice work RB.

Last edited:
Fantastic!

too bad there isn't much,if anything like that around here.closest i came was a poplar but the guy balked at the 3500 price i gave him.what a tool.

Bill, I offered some of it to a chain saw carver, but he didn't show up. Sorry, didn't think of you! White pine ya know....

I don't know about how RB likes to do it, but I like to start my cut on the pinch side, usually the side facing the crane, and finish on the lift side, the side where the choker completes it's circle and runs up to the hook.

Circumstance dictates technique.

jomoco

Just the opposite, with straight picks. The kerf will automatically open up if you start cutting where the the load is choked and the cable runs up. One cut straight through. There were problems on this job, as the crane was nearly at its limit, and that tipped piece that I showed had side weight and was choked about 4 feet down. Would have been better to have kerf cut the crane side of that log, and maybe preinstalled wedges. The operator maybe should have cabled up to relieve the saw bind, and keep shock loading down when the piece came off. But also, the closer in he could get the load, the better. Eventually, it did come off fairly smoothly. But it was a dicey moment, as the weight was a tad too close to the limit. (Crane was only rated at 70-80 tons, as he didn't have his counterweights on.)

RB What did change for job like that. I would gust around $5500.

That's right what the job was worth. But I've had Elsie for a customer for 15 years...and she is old and declining health. Been in that god awful tree twice over the years trying to make it safer. Gave her a way too low price...(and then, the crane time was 3.5 hours, when I was dreaming for 2....)

But even then, there were two yahoos that gave prices...one was $2000, and another $3000 which supposedly included wood hauling. Without a crane, and a GRCS and speedline skills, it would have taken 5 days to get that tree down and out.

Back