Another Log Buying Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I process about 75-80 cords a year pretty much on my own. All but about the 6-8 cords I use for myself and at my mom's house gets sold. I have always been able to cut that amount on my own but this year I don't have any good leads so I decided to look around to buy logs.

I found a guy about 10 miles away who has mountains of logs of all sorts of lengths/diameter/species. He loads them up in a 30 yard dumpster and delivers it that way. So after seeing what he had and talking to him, we agree on $200 a load. He says the loads are never less than 5 cords and can be as much as 7 cords depending on the logs and how tightly they pack together. If I like what I see after the first load is dropped off, I plan on buying about 50 cords worth. At those kind of prices, I can't cut and haul it myself for those prices. Anyone else ever buy loads like this?

I process about 75-80 cords a year pretty much on my own. All but about the 6-8 cords I use for myself and at my mom's house gets sold. I have always been able to cut that amount on my own but this year I don't have any good leads so I decided to look around to buy logs.

I found a guy about 10 miles away who has mountains of logs of all sorts of lengths/diameter/species. He loads them up in a 30 yard dumpster and delivers it that way. So after seeing what he had and talking to him, we agree on $200 a load. He says the loads are never less than 5 cords and can be as much as 7 cords depending on the logs and how tightly they pack together. If I like what I see after the first load is dropped off, I plan on buying about 50 cords worth. At those kind of prices, I can't cut and haul it myself for those prices. Anyone else ever buy loads like this?

Where about in NJ is this guy from. I dont sell wood but just burn for my house. If this guy has alot of loads I might be interested in one. Im from south jersey. thanks

I buy loads like that for $900 and resell them at a profit, so $200 seems like a deal.

(Technically, I get the truch with pup, which makes it $1800 for 14 bush cord. I cut 40 face cord from that and sell it at $75/face cord. 40x75=3000 so I walk away with $1200 for about 40 hours labour.)

Ask yourself what you can resell that wood for where you live and how much labout it would take to process. Also consider the time and wear and tear on equipment it takes to haul trees out of the bush (you avoud this by buying logs). Also, the trees in the bush cost money.

*** Not saying that hauling them out of the bush is less profitable.

Where about in NJ is this guy from. I dont sell wood but just burn for my house. If this guy has alot of loads I might be interested in one. Im from south jersey. thanks

Atco

Be best to buy it 1 dumpster at a time, less chance of being shorted. Unless he will give you a volume discount.

Got my first load yesterday around noon and upon looking at what was on the ground after dumping I told him to keep them coming. Its safe to say there was easily 5 cords probably more like 6. He was able to deliver another later in the afternoon. I will try to get some pics soon. Pretty excited about this and am hoping to go over the 100 cord mark next season.

I buy logs, here is the load I got recently. Should be around 5 cords, mostly oak.
View attachment 274413

Based on how much I have when it's all split and stacked, I'll order a new (bigger) load from the same guy. Will try do process around 50 cords a year like this.

Latest posts

Back