Another Mix Ratio question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnShooter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had to pick up a new fuel can today.
I always use 100% gas 93 octane and Stihl Ultra Synthetic HP Oil. (Silver bottle)

I have several 5 gallon cans for my lawn equipment, so I poured gas into the New can up to the “Safe Fill” line.
Then poured in the 1 gallon mix (2.6oz) bottle.

Well, after I did this I realized the NEW can holds 1 Gallon + 4oz

Would you worry about this? At the most I’d be @ 55:1 ratio.

I am going with no for myself.

However I do want to know how you found the the extra 4oz, or does the line say plus 4oz?

Edit: musing and imaging you filling up a row of beakers to measure your fuel, it occurs to me that I use Saber myself. Perhaps the 0.03125 gallon variance makes more of a difference with the stihl.

I am going with no for myself.

However I do want to know how you found the the extra 4oz, or does the line say plus 4oz?

Edit: musing and imaging you filling up a row of beakers to measure your fuel, it occurs to me that I use Saber myself. Perhaps the 0.03125 gallon variance makes more of a difference with the stihl.

The can says 1 Gallon 4oz.
When I bought the can, it “looked” like my old 1 Gallon can.
I grab it, paid for it, and poured in gas to the “Fill Line”

I only noticed the 4oz. part when peeling of the big label.
Thoss labels tend to come off once gas get on them. I went ahead and took care of that problem

Who knows, I mean Sabre claims their oil is 80:1 is safe. IIRC
Between knowing if the gas pump is right, the the little 2.6 oz bottles are right, and the temperature.
You think there would be a little bit of margin for error.

If you have ever poured Mix Oil in sub freezing wether, you’ll know it doesn’t flow as easily.
Who’s to know how much sticks to the side of the bottle? I’m betting if you measure diff guys, everyone’s would be a little different?

The Saber and HP Ultra have very different specification ratings, I am not sure it is fair to compare them.

Worst case, you mark that one for your trimmer!

1 gallon plus 4 ounces is 131.82oz. At 50:1 requires 2.64oz. You have 1.5% less oil in there than a true 50:1. Or, 1.4% too much gas.

Say only 2.5oz made it in there you're at 52.75:1. I rinse my oil measure with the fuel I'm using to get the walls. I'm also anal.

Not even calculating the margin for error reading the jug, whether or not the jug is bloated/expanded/has stretched due to expansion with the lid shut, I'd say youre more than close enough to 50:1 spec and I'd run it if youre comfortable running 50:1.

Perhaps the +4oz is as if the jug is used and has seen expansion before and stretched and theoretically holds 4oz more than 1 gallon.

Idk... send it. We're splitting brunette C hairs here.

If in fact youre shooting for 50:1 and end up with 55:1.... then that's 10% leaner in the oil department. 10% is too much error for me when it's so easy to make within 2%.

Perfect world 1 gal at 2.6oz is 49:1. Already 2% error factor built in.... leave a smidge of oil on the wall of the can and you're at 50:1.

I do rinse the bottle with gas.
I pour it to half full, shake the bottle then pour it back in.

Since were talking Rich / Lean
Why would the spark arrester on my BG56 Blower clog with soot / carbon.
But none of my other equipment has this issue?
The blower is always full throttle.

Also when referping to is it “Fat”
Would this be opening the High speed up slightly?
would there be any need at all in adjusting the Low too?

Honestly, I don’t think I’m too worried about it.
I may add a few teaspoons of oil to it and call it good.

The Saber and HP Ultra have very different specification ratings, I am not sure it is fair to compare them.

Worst case, you mark that one for your trimmer!

All I know is that when I mixed Saber at 50:1, my mufflers in my trimmers would puke oil by the end of the season.
I couldn’t bring my self to run it at 80:1.

So far I haven’t had this issue with the Stihl oil in my trimmers.

All I know is that when I mixed Saber at 50:1, my mufflers in my trimmers would puke oil by the end of the season.
I couldn’t bring my self to run it at 80:1.

So far I haven’t had this issue with the Stihl oil in my trimmers.
Yeah, that's rather heavy for a JA spec oil. I use it for ease of breathing.

Fat would mean there is more fuel than necessary for stoich burn.

Carbon/soot is generally from not getting hot enough, not getting worked hard enough. Unburned fuel/oil collecting as deposits. Could be your blower is set too fat/rich and isnt winding out enough in the RPM to become "hot", or properly burn the mixture.

Low speed is technically for throttle response and part throttle response, but still has an overall effect on the total fuel entering the engine. I.e if your high speed is set perfect and you open or close the low a bit, it will increase or reduce total fuel.

If you have the low set perfect, and change the high speed, then you really shouldnt see any change on the low/mid end response.

At times I've leaned out my low speed a smidge for better, crisper throttle response and while I probably wouldnt have burned the machine down, I've noticed it changes the total fuel just enough that it makes me open up the high just a bit to get more burbling sound in the cut.

Fat would mean there is more fuel than necessary for stoich burn.

Carbon/soot is generally from not getting hot enough, not getting worked hard enough. Unburned fuel/oil collecting as deposits. Could be your blower is set too fat/rich and isnt winding out enough in the RPM to become "hot", or properly burn the mixture.

Low speed is technically for throttle response and part throttle response, but still has an overall effect on the total fuel entering the engine. I.e if your high speed is set perfect and you open or close the low a bit, it will increase or reduce total fuel.

If you have the low set perfect, and change the high speed, then you really shouldnt see any change on the low/mid end response.

At times I've leaned out my low speed a smidge for better, crisper throttle response and while I probably wouldnt have burned the machine down, I've noticed it changes the total fuel just enough that it makes me open up the high just a bit to get more burbling sound in the cut.

The blower will bog for 1/2 sec then rev up fine.
It’s done this since new. When it starts to soot up, it just won’t rev up all the way.
the 1/2 second bog is always there. It’s not instant like my saws.
The blower is still under warranty, so I never have messed with the setting.

I have tweaked my 455 Rancher. But that’s only due to having rebuilt the carb.
It seems to run just fine.

Was the can also marked 4 Liter?
33.814 fluid oz per liter
The fill line may have been at 135.256 ounces or 1.057 gal
I'd throw a little Marvel Oil or dab of Sea Foam as stabilizer and call it good if you're really worried about it.
I mix a little thick myself. But I really don't think it's enough to get especially concerned over as long as you keep FRESH, QUALITY FUEL.

I do rinse the bottle with gas.
I pour it to half full, shake the bottle then pour it back in.

Honestly, I don’t think I’m too worried about it.
I may add a few teaspoons of oil to it and call it good.
Rinsing you measuring cup into the mix is proactive , yeah I would have just added a tablespoon and been done with it . Yes fat is more fuel to air . You should tune your saw randomly in the cut , dirty air filters or barometric pressure changes can effect saw performance ! ;)

I fill several 2.6oz. bottles to 2.8oz. from larger bulk bottles. That compensates for what stays on the sides of the bottles. I have a separate jug marked at the 1 gal. level. I add that plus one bottle of oil to my 1 gal regular mix can - which holds slightly more than 1 gal. I can mix a gallon when the regular can gets low and be sure of the ratio of all the fuel in the can.

Rinsing you measuring cup into the mix is proactive , yeah I would have just added a tablespoon and been done with it . Yes fat is more fuel to air . You should tune your saw randomly in the cut , dirty air filters or barometric pressure changes can effect saw performance ! ;)
Yep ...... every time my son and I cut for a day he has a go at me because I tune at 06:00 and depends on when the temp gets up in the middle of the day and the I tune again later in the arvo sometimes as late as 17:00 or later depending on the day .
Funny thing is every time we swap saws and I give his back to him he has a cheasy grin .
The 2 best saw mods are tune and a bloody SHARP chain ......

Back