Another noob 346XP question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG BEAM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How much improvement will I get if I install a non epa muffler on this thing over the stock cat muffler?Also is this the muffler for the mod or should I consider another (544 02 83 02 from Baileys)?

One more thing,should I do this mod after the saw is broken-in and have it retached then?
Boy I'm full of questions with my new toy!
DON

not much if any performance gain.maybe a smidge.

mostly you would be getting rid of heat which is a major enemy of the combustion engine.especially an air cooled one.

i have no muffler modded saws.i don't like noise.again though,the saw will run cooler and breath better.

Congrats on the new toy. :cheers:

When I put a non cat on my 359 it seemed to pick up some power but not enough to write home about. I think fishercat has it right about the reason to change the muffler is to get rid of the heat.

mostly you would be getting rid of heat which is a major enemy of the combustion engine.especially an air cooled one.

i have no muffler modded saws.i don't like noise.again though,the saw will run cooler and breath better.

+1 on that.

You'll pick up up far more performance by keeping your chain properly maintained.

Another issue is voiding the warranty once you mod the muffler, so make sure you have the original ready to go if needed.

Take Care

maybe I'll just keep it stock.A friend has an older 346 and it does seem louder than mine.I kinda like quieter saws,even if I have to give up a little power.
DON

if it's new and under warranty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you replace the cat muffler with a non cat muffler on a 3346 XP will you have to retune the carb?:confused:

take it back to the dealer and tell him you think it needs to be re tuned.they will most likely never notice you put a non CAT muffler on it.mine won't change the muffler but they would work on it if i let them.

If you replace the cat muffler with a non cat muffler on a 3346 XP will you have to retune the carb?:confused:

That's why I asked if I should break it in and then do the muffler and have it tached.
DON

At least you will need to check if the tuning still is right, but do as soon as possible, no point in waiting till the saw is run in! ;)

You should not void the warranty by putting a stock non-cat original 346xp muffler on it, and have it retuned, unless your dealer is an azzhole.

Last edited:
Just ordered this muffler from Bailey's this weekend.
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=husky 346 muff&catID=1876

I hope it's the right one!

I just looked at my saw tonight and the H adjustment is all the way counter clockwise(rich).I no they adjusted the saw when I bought it I could hear them in the back running it.Maybe they set it rich because it is a new saw and assumed I would bring it back for a retune after it breaks in but nobody mentioned to bring it back.Maybe I should call them tomorrow and ask them about the muffler swap and see what they say.

take it back to the dealer and tell him you think it needs to be re tuned.they will most likely never notice you put a non CAT muffler on it.mine won't change the muffler but they would work on it if i let them.

And how would you react to a dealer who tried to slip one by you? Probably start a thread about how dishonest they all are?

This thread is full of bad, if not superstitious advice.

The only accurate suggestion is that it is a great idea to get the heat away from the saw. This is even more important with sustained use, as the crankcase temp can get too high for the engine to operate efficiently. Then it will appear that there is something wrong with the saw, but your dealer will not be able to determine a problem without running the saw hard for at least a half hour. And there is no fix except letting it cool down.

You will not void the warranty by putting a non-cat muffler on the saw.

There will be a power increase.

You do not have to retune the saw when you change the muffler, but in either case, richining up the factory settings might be necessary.

Called up the place where I bought the saw(George Kahler) and told them I was replacing the cat muffler with a non cat.He said it should be retuned just to be on the safe side.Don't know how much he can retune it if the high speed jet is maxed out already?
DON

Called up the place where I bought the saw(George Kahler) and told them I was replacing the cat muffler with a non cat.He said it should be retuned just to be on the safe side.Don't know how much he can retune it if the high speed jet is maxed out already?
DON

He can move the limiters, if needed......:)

I would take it to him if he said that - if nothing else, just to keep him happy with you and your saw!

Last edited:
DON

Kahler's cool and he knows what he's doing.

There is a real small, maybe 2mm, screwdriver that goes right through the center of the limiter caps. It allows tuning of the saw without removing the caps or shaving the tabs off.

i never said they were dishonest.

And how would you react to a dealer who tried to slip one by you? Probably start a thread about how dishonest they all are?

This thread is full of bad, if not superstitious advice.

The only accurate suggestion is that it is a great idea to get the heat away from the saw. This is even more important with sustained use, as the crankcase temp can get too high for the engine to operate efficiently. Then it will appear that there is something wrong with the saw, but your dealer will not be able to determine a problem without running the saw hard for at least a half hour. And there is no fix except letting it cool down.

You will not void the warranty by putting a non-cat muffler on the saw.

There will be a power increase.

You do not have to retune the saw when you change the muffler, but in either case, richining up the factory settings might be necessary.

i like my dealership.if i knew one mechanic that i know would be working on it,i wouldn't have a problem.he knows how i like my saws tuned.

my statement comes from being a mechanic for years and fixing other mechanics mistakes.i'm just anal about equipment and like to know people who care are working on my stuff.unfortunately i cannot be assured of this these days.

fortunatley for me i do not have to rely on others to fix my stuff.not saying all dealers are bad.there are a few here i would trust my stuff with.you being one of them.

Latest posts

Back