another old 045AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdog

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well the CAD is in full force. I just picked up an old 045 AV. how old you ask, i don't know but it doesn't even have the name plate, but rather die cast into the cover and an electronic sticker on the side. I started to tear it down. the guy i purchased it from said that it quit running and thinks it is the ignition system. Some of the wires are cracked and the ground wire is missing. oh and the spark plug was missing the little cap. so i need to pull the fly wheel to get to the ignition system.
so if any of you guys know a good way to pull the fly wheel on this saw let me know. otherwise i'll have to go to the dealer to have him pull it. which kinda ruins the point of it all. oh and does anyone know where i can get the hand protecter for this saw. not the chain brake, it's older then that. here's a few pictures for you guys too.

Yes I have an o45 with the same cover on it thought it looked cool. As far as the puller goes I built one for my saw if you have a welder it doesn't take long.I took the three screws that hold the fan off and took a large heavy washer that would fit inside the fins laid it on the fan turned it over and marked the three holes for the screws,I then drilled these holes slightly larger than the screws that hold on the fan, then took a piece of iron pipe and welded to the washer took a threaded rod and the same size nut welded the nut to another washer and to the top of the pipe and weld the nut to the threaded rod or find one with enough threades I used the bolt from one of my store bought pullers. Then all you have to do is put the puller on the flywheel attach the screws and tighten the bolt down on the crankshaft and off it comes. If you need a pic let me know and will send later have to go to work now:cheers:

stihl-in-KY i think i have your basic consept of what you described but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. so a pic would be great. thanks for the help.

Yes I have an o45 with the same cover on it thought it looked cool. As far as the puller goes I built one for my saw if you have a welder it doesn't take long.I took the three screws that hold the fan off and took a large heavy washer that would fit inside the fins laid it on the fan turned it over and marked the three holes for the screws,I then drilled these holes slightly larger than the screws that hold on the fan, then took a piece of iron pipe and welded to the washer took a threaded rod and the same size nut welded the nut to another washer and to the top of the pipe and weld the nut to the threaded rod or find one with enough threades I used the bolt from one of my store bought pullers. Then all you have to do is put the puller on the flywheel attach the screws and tighten the bolt down on the crankshaft and off it comes. If you need a pic let me know and will send later have to go to work now:cheers:

I've done a very similar operation, though I didn't have access to a welder. So did the large washer thing then used a regular three jaw gear puller to do the job. Works like a charm, though a tad more awkward than a one-piece puller setup. Redneck engineering at it's best..................:monkey:

Oh yeah, nice project Snowdog.

Last edited:
so Andy, if you started making the pullers would you drill out all the holes for all the saw models? i'm sure people would buy them. i probably would. i guess i'll have to do some red neck engineering until then. thanks for all the help.
Oh one more question for you can you replace the cut off wire on the electronic ignition or replace the whole thing. maybe i'll cover it in liquid electrical tape. i'll let you know what i find out. thanks again all y'all.

Depends on the model of ignition you have... but in general just replace the entire wire and heat shrink over the joint.

There are only three pullers for almost all Stihl models. 4 if you count the 361 type but with a tiny modification one of the others works fine for that also. If I get it set up on a CNC lathe, would be pretty easy to turn out two of the models... The third like you'd use on an 045/56 is a little more work but no big deal.

I've even looked at making the seal pullers... but first my Bridgeports need to get finished.

I've even looked at making the seal pullers... but first my Bridgeports need to get finished.

I'll put order No 2 in.....

well i used ranger's red neck modified engineering and it popper right off. too easily. found the kill switch wire taped up so i'll splice in a new wire then shrink wrap it and see if that was the problem. if not i guess i'll have some more work ahead. thanks y'all

Back