another pine burning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
i came across some (free) pine logs, about 10 to 12 feet long, and anywhere between 8" to 12" in diameter. they were cut about a year ago and the guy told me to take them away. there's more than i would care to own, but didn't i read here that many of you feel buring pine is OK? there's about at least 2 full cords worth sitting on the guys property.

i would use it as "filler" wood and mix it with hardwoods and not burn it as a single heat source. seems many people frown on burning pine. anyways, should i grab it or not?

Take it. From what i understand, as long as its seasoned well, it makes good firewood. Burns hot and fast..... but would work well mixing as you said.

I burn pine in my wood stove. Not a whole lot. I had to remove a dead scotch pine on my property, so I split it up, let it sit for a year, and when I needed it, I used it. I recomend splitting it small, because it will flair up. It will burn pretty fast, and hot, doesn't coal very well. Just a fast hot burn and then you'll need more. If you clean your chimney every year, maybe twice, I think you can burn any seasoned wood.
In short, I second what everyone else says, and add, split it into small pieces. It is great to use to et a fire going.:blob2:

I have a bunch of pine chunks that I split up for kindling. used to start a fire with some newspaper, now I can lite the pine with my cig lighter and go. gets the other wood going real quick. I throw in a few bigger pieces every once in a while too. makes for a pretty fire (I have a fireplace) and love the smell too.
-Ralph

i came across some (free) pine logs, about 10 to 12 feet long, and anywhere between 8" to 12" in diameter. they were cut about a year ago and the guy told me to take them away. there's more than i would care to own, but didn't i read here that many of you feel buring pine is OK? there's about at least 2 full cords worth sitting on the guys property.

i would use it as "filler" wood and mix it with hardwoods and not burn it as a single heat source. seems many people frown on burning pine. anyways, should i grab it or not?

Take it! Free wood is free wood and there is nothing wrong with good, seasoned pine. A lot of the country couldn't heat with wood if pine, fir, spruce were unuseable.

The ones who jump on these type questions saying "never burn pine..., etc." are people who:

a. Have never done it.
b. Never seen anyone else do it.

In short, they have no clue just repeat old wive's tales.

Harry K

I burn 5-6 cords of Jack Pine in my indoor wood boiler every year.I keep my chimney and flue pipes clean and never have a problem.Just make sure it's good and seasoned.I don't split it small,just split it like normal firewood.

thanks.

i went down and filled the trailer. i'll probably go back and grab a load tomorrow as well.

the damn things are like telephone poles....all clean and straight....and they look dry.

i noticed another pile down the street from this wood where a builder cleared a lot out. everything is piled up in a huge pile and alot of it looks like hardwoods mixed with pine as well. i'll check it out tomorrow.

Scoop it man! Nothing wrong with burning pine, kept me warm last winter too (alond with a weird mix of old alder & nice fir), but as stated above not great over-night stuff, hot fast fire and requires full dampening so as not to be filling the stove every hour or so. Split it as large as your stove will take imho, and don't look back. Anything under, say, 9 inches just leave it in the round and don't split, use those for our ovenighters if ya have to. Free is good digs!

:cheers:

Serge

Pine is classified as a softwood and is suitable for a fuelwood. If you can get free pine firewood, take it.

Burn Pine

I've burned lots of pine for years and never had a problem. I've made sure it was seasoned and mixed it in with other wood. Free wood is good!!

thanks.

i went down and filled the trailer. i'll probably go back and grab a load tomorrow as well.

the damn things are like telephone poles....all clean and straight....and they look dry.

i noticed another pile down the street from this wood where a builder cleared a lot out. everything is piled up in a huge pile and alot of it looks like hardwoods mixed with pine as well. i'll check it out tomorrow.

You're doing great...scrounged free wood is always the best. I've had good luck burning pine if I let it season for awhile and split it fairly small. It's good for warming the house quickly and then you can switch to hardwood.

Oh yeah, grab it. Pine burns fine. Jack pine grows like weeds around here and I cut some every year to mix in with the oak. No problems with it other than the bugs like it better.

Back