Another Ported 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome job and great vids....

Gotta ask you one thing Brad,,and today,,I wanted to try a cut with the 350 and see how thin a cookie I could get and one was under 1/2 a inch...Now with the GTG last Oct. at Ericks,,,,and we had to make a 2 cuts without breakin out the side ,,,how come we couldnt do that then on a first try??? LOL!!!

Gotta ask you one thing Brad,,and today,,I wanted to try a cut with the 350 and see how thin a cookie I could get and one was under 1/2 a inch...Now with the GTG last Oct. at Ericks,,,,and we had to make a 2 cuts without breakin out the side ,,,how come we couldnt do that then on a first try??? LOL!!!

We were mostly using big saws and trying to go for speed.

And finally, here's the better copy of the last vid.

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="http://photo.blsnelling.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzc5NzMwNzk3Jms9NlNZU0UmYT0xMTEyODAzNF9UM1RuQiZ1PVR3ZWFrZXI=" /><embed src="http://photo.blsnelling.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzc5NzMwNzk3Jms9NlNZU0UmYT0xMTEyODAzNF9UM1RuQiZ1PVR3ZWFrZXI=" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

yup,
that saw looks both familiar and oh so strange at the same time.
:)

attachment.php

Is that clamp on the handle Aluminium or Steel? Older saws used aluminum which would stretch.

I just talked to Nik, and have the confirmation from Matt. A popup will be going in this saw along with a new ring. A new model decal and fuel/oil caps will be replaced to finish tidying it up.

Matt mad the comment the other day that he better get the money sent to me before I decide to keep it. After he sent the money, I had to break it to him that I had the best of both worlds. I now have his money and his saw:clap::cheers:

Matt Ward, aka MCW, originally owned one 7900. His first contact with me was to purchase and port a new 7900 for him. You've read about and watched his vids of it. I then purchased a new P&C and muffler, which I ported and sent to him. These were installed on his original 7900. He then sent me the original P&C off of his original 7900. I was to port them and return them. Instead, I talked him into buying a HD 6401. Volks-man sold me a super clean saw, which I got this week. That is this saw here, with Matt's original 7900 P&C. The HD air filter kit arrived very quickly from The Cutting Edge.

I have no idea how many hours are on this topend. Quite a few I would imagine. We all know what a machine Matt is when he gets to falling trees! The P&C look great, yet compression is only reading 140-145 PSI. Perhaps my new guage is reading low. Reguardless, I will be putting a new ring in it. It will probably be getting a popup piston as well. Anyway, here the saw is as of right now. You'd never know this saw has less than 150 PSI compression. It is strong! The 372 in the last vid has greater than 165 PSI. Yet when you dog them in, the 7900 comes out on top by a fair margin. Not bad at all.

Both saws are wearing 8-pin rims and Stihl RSC chains freshly filed with a Granberg.

779703719_kiMNE-M.jpg

Any worries about that deflector getting damaged? I see a lot of saws come in with the muffler damaged in that area.

Steve

Any worries about that deflector getting damaged? I see a lot of saws come in with the muffler damaged in that area.

Steve

Yes:) I thought about that. But I wanted a port there. If you notice, there's always a hot spot right there where the cage directs the exhaust towards the bottom of the muffler. I'm open to ideas. I have another muffler here if someone has a better idea, seriously. Keep in mind, it has to have spark arrestors due to the conditions in South Australia.

I had to add one thing too Brad...

So who wants to name this crazy muffler looking creation?:clap:

That reminds me of Burt ,,ya know,,Burt and Ernie....LOL!! Looks like his big nose stickin out... :)

Yes:) I thought about that. But I wanted a port there. If you notice, there's always a hot spot right there where the cage directs the exhaust towards the bottom of the muffler. I'm open to ideas. I have another muffler here if someone has a better idea, seriously. Keep in mind, it has to have spark arrestors due to the conditions in South Australia.

Kinda shows Stihl had it right with the dp muffler cover. There is a difference.

Kinda shows Stihl had it right with the dp muffler cover. There is a difference.

The 7900 muffler cage is different than those in a Stihl. The bottom front of the cage is open, with a curve deflector at the end of the cage to direct the exhaust down. I removed the entire bottom of the cage, to let it breathe, but left the deflector at the end. I normally only add the one additional port. But I was after more flow on this saw, plus they have to be partially blocked with a spark arrestor.

I have a muffler that looks like that one .........Tractor backed over it .......LOL

That saw has been tackled by Log Piles, Skidders etc. It has had 3 tanks, 2 handlebars, both side covers, hoods, and lower air box... I think it is the 2nd muffler as well. BUT Still Cuts Wood!!

Scott

Like this

attachment.php

That's how you tell if the saw's been worked.

The 7900 muffler cage is different than those in a Stihl. The bottom front of the cage is open, with a curve deflector at the end of the cage to direct the exhaust down. I removed the entire bottom of the cage, to let it breathe, but left the deflector at the end. I normally only add the one additional port. But I was after more flow on this saw, plus they have to be partially blocked with a spark arrestor.

I usually gut all mufflers. The 7900 muffler is a pain in the ass to gut. I spent over an hour putting it back together and recrimping and brazing after the internal removal.

Back