Another Splitter Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the log lift finished. I'll start on the outfeed table next, mount the hydraulic tank, motor & valves then be close to paint.

Good Job Wlker, as usual. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep pics coming, I don't know how you have time to work with all the pics and descriptions. Great job keep it up!!
By the way, What are you powering this beast with??
Also Im thinking of putting a 6 or 8 way on my movable wedge on my ongoing build. I know its a lot of resistance but I have put all my cutting blades on straight with 2 sided cutting edges so if I decided to do so it would work without wedging. ??? I have a 6'' cyl but don't know if I can hold the bumper???View attachment 287789View attachment 287790
I really want to be done with the rounds after 1 trip. Started out with an elevator in mind but have given up on that for now, maybe later.
For now im just going to let ram push firewood up a chute to a wagon. What do ya think???

jaars, I'm putting a 16 hp duromax on this one. You got some big time iron going on there. That 6" cyl will have some force for sure. Thats quite a piece of iron just on your movable wedge. WOW. As far as a 6 or 8 way, I'd say it depends on the type of wood you split most. With the wood I split I would want a multi wedge slip on. My 4 way is sort of pushing the limits with some of the twisted hedge I split. I really like your build, thats one of a kind for sure. Keep up the good work & keep the pics coming. :msp_thumbsup:

Had time for a little work on the splitter, got the log table done mounted the motor & the valves, got the hydraulic tank where I want it. Spring is here & I've been busy in the garden yano. Dang skidsteer laid down so I been working on that, Had to get the mower out & get it going. Got to run my new Ps 32 dolmar a little bit, It's sweet. Recon I'll keep it. I'll get some pics of progress when I have a chance.

I've givin a lot of thought to wedge design & I haven't seen one that does everything all the time. If I had a movable wedge I would prolly only move it down to access the vertical part. My way of thinkin if I move it up to center then I have 4 pieces that need resplit. I don't know whats best, But I know these are pretty much bullet proof . I always have the 2 bottom pieces that are the right size. I'll just have to research it somemore & see what I come up with.

Well I finally got this project finished, & it turned out really good. I spent so much time shining every piece of steel before welding that I hated to cover it up with paint so I ended up cleaning it real good & shot it with 3 coats of clear. It's neat how metal appears in it's natural form. Split a little wood with it today & it's pretty fast at 10 seconds 34 1/2" 7 seconds at 24 ". This 1" hydraulic system really flows alot of fluid. I ended up putting on 2 return filters that flow 70 GPM each, one is dedicated to the bypass valve. I still need to mount my tool box across the front, but I was ready to get it out to see what it would do. I put 40 gals of oil in it & I'll probably put 5 more. I mounted the engine on rubber mounts so there is no vibration. That way it won't shake up your beverage. heres a few pictures.

wndwlkr, that's a nice professional build you made. That should be able to power its way through any round you can put on it.

dave_dj1, I don't think there is a time limit on the video rule . At least I hope there isn't. I finally put one up on my processor build a few days ago after a couple of years.:taped:

wndwlkr, that's a nice professional build you made. That should be able to power its way through any round you can put on it.

dave_dj1, I don't think there is a time limit on the video rule . At least I hope there isn't. I finally put one up on my processor build a few days ago after a couple of years.:taped:

I saw that and I like it! Just bustin' on him.

I can barley take pictures, but I'll see what I can do.

Hey walker, Nice job, but I knew it would be. didn't even have to see it. But im glad I did.
Haven't had time to work on mine lately. Have to work an make a living. maybe this fall
Great job and looking forward to more projects from you. John

Thanks John, I'll be keeping an eye out for your build also. My next project will be compressing hay into logs. probably be fall before that begins, Planting time is here if it ever drys up.

Thanks John, I'll be keeping an eye out for your build also. My next project will be compressing hay into logs. probably be fall before that begins, Planting time is here if it ever drys up.

Didn't know you were a farmer, Farmed all my life. Tobacco, Govt ran me out of business. Started excavating 15 yrs ago. Still farm some, Kinda hobby now. 30 acres alfalfa and one old rough farm with 60 cows.

Didn't know you were a farmer, Farmed all my life. Tobacco, Govt ran me out of business. Started excavating 15 yrs ago. Still farm some, Kinda hobby now. 30 acres alfalfa and one old rough farm with 60 cows.

Project sounds interesting, Have thought about something like that as well.

I must say being raised in a metal shop and working steel most all my life, I am duly impressed with the work I've seen on here. These splitters are truly a work of art. Very precise and meticulous work, and some super looking welds. I told the wife these men building these splitter are not amateurs. This ain't their first rodeo.

Thanks jaars, Hows your project coming along ? Lookin forward to some new pics.

We haven't worked on it for a good while, since we put lift on. have a lot of work going on right now. Prolly wont get to work on it much this summer unless it rains a lot.
I think we are going to try to put the pump on the truck next to see how she runs under its own power??? View attachment 292746View attachment 292752
She is a bute aint she!! Oh well, I like a challenge.

Back