Another splitter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I could poll some of you guys for how many inches high your splitter is from the ground up to the table where the log rests. I'm getting ready to put an axle on my home build project and I'd like to get a ballpark number. I can stand there all day and estimate but it just isn't the same as the real thing, and unfortunately I no longer have access to the splitter I used last year. 'Course I realize this will require a tape measure and a trip out to the garage or woodpile for some of you so I'll be more than happy to repay with pics galore once this *#@! project is finally done!

I made mine 33". after it goes through my 6 way, straight into the truck or trailer it goes. don't forget the loglift & work cradle also!

This is not a one size fits all question. I am 6ft4 or so and need mine a bit higher. Lower requires less lifting, but kills my back when working the splitter. For me a comfortable lift and working height is ideal. I would say grab a log and stretch out your arms in front of you like you would if you had to carry this for a while. Any higher than this would require an additional heave and lift. I did this and set mine right at the bottom of where i carry the log. Works great for me. Also think about where your controls are most comfortable and convenient. Do yourself a favor and make sure this is set up for you, my splitter would not be good for a smaller guy.

236234d1335756801-dscn4162-jpg

mine is about 31" when level. that's a good working height for me, 6' tall. of course, if you don't have a log lift, then that's 31" you have to hoist big rounds.....

I have said this before but, the way i do it chunk wood in forest, bring home, back trailer next to wood pile, have kid roll me rounds directly from trailer to splitter, split, throw in wood pile, wife stacks nice and neat. DONE! Really no need for log lift or breaking your back. The less times you can handle firewood the more efficient you are. And the more time you can spend drinking beer.

Before i used my brain, i would chunk, bring home, dump in pile, pick up, split, throw splits on ground or trailer, stack. Handling it 5-6 times is for the birds, the young or the stupid.

My $0.02

Thanks everybody. Good point that a lot depends on your own heighth and comfort. Also, sounds like you've got a good system Bfunk. I use the bucket on my kubota to move the wood around, we get some pretty good size pieces from the tree service. Also no trailer, and with the amount of wood I require for the OWB it'd be tough (impossible) to keep up with the splitting this time of year. I'm already 15 (!) truckloads behind on the splitting while I wait to build this thing. That said, I'd love to get to the point where I split each load as it comes in, that's the way it ought to be done.

I made mine to fit my needs. I grabbed a block of wood and took a measurement to the bottom of my knuckles. I don't have to bend over or reach to awkward positions to operate the levers or have to stand in a funny position around a tire. I made it wide open and easily accessible for ME! #### everyone else that might have to use it! :hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PQvgOg26uys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back