Another splitter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have a 9hp 16gpm 2stage running a 5inch cylinder wedge on ram, that is a bit slow for me......can't decide between two options:

1) Getting a Northern tool slip-on 4-way and make it fit onto wedge.....hopefully speed up productivity with minimal cost of $80, and still have enough power for the tough stuff.

2) Get a Northern Tool 4inch cylinder to reduce cycle times. This also comes with a 4 way wedge and I believe the wings can be removed, for $350, and may not have the power for the tough stuff. (I get lots and lots of crotch wood).

Faster cycle speed with 4way option at higher price, or slower speed/more power with 4 way. Which would you pick? (considering general lack of funds due to the economy also)

Big fan of 4-ways.

Do not down size the cylinder. There is no substitute for brute force when you need it. Downsizing the cylinder will reduce the piston area from 19.63 to 12.57 square inches. Multiply that by the psi and you'll get an idea how much you force you lose.
Remember you can take the 4-way off pretty easily, not so swapping cylinders.

Take Care

Never drop your 4-way slip on wedge, that's a gold mine.....keep your 5"bore...
get this regenerative valve from SUN hydraulic....will keep the force of your 5" but will get you speed like a 2"bore (if your rod is 2").....

SUN dealer will help you config....

With this valve you'll get

a high force/low speed 9.8 ton per 1000psi pressure and 1.6 inch/sec at 16gpm

a low force/high speed 1.6 ton per 1000psi pressure and 9.7 inch per sec at 16 gpm.....thats 15.5 sec cycle low speed and 2.5 sec cycle high speed on a 24" stroke.....

Your max pressure is probobly set around 2500psi........so that put you on 24.5ton high/4ton low

This valve works automatically, it's pressure sensitive and adjustable...
I'm not sure abut how that 2 stage pump will match up, but SUN can tell you...

Read more about this pressure sensitive regeneration valve on this sun pdf...

You can see this valve used on some of the wood processors

call about "Sun" regenerative valve
Hydra-Power Systems, Inc.
5445 NE 122nd Avenue
P.O. Box 20549
Portland, OR 97230
ph# (503) 777-3361
www.hydrapowersystems.com

Never drop your 4-way slip on wedge, that's a gold mine.....keep your 5"bore...
get this regenerative valve from SUN hydraulic....will keep the force of your 5" but will get you speed like a 2"bore (if your rod is 2").....

SUN dealer will help you config....

With this valve you'll get

a high force/low speed 9.8 ton per 1000psi pressure and 1.6 inch/sec at 16gpm

a low force/high speed 1.6 ton per 1000psi pressure and 9.7 inch per sec at 16 gpm.....thats 15.5 sec cycle low speed and 2.5 sec cycle high speed on a 24" stroke.....

Your max pressure is probobly set around 2500psi........so that put you on 24.5ton high/4ton low

This valve works automatically, it's pressure sensitive and adjustable...
I'm not sure abut how that 2 stage pump will match up, but SUN can tell you...

Read more about this pressure sensitive regeneration valve on this sun pdf...

You can see this valve used on some of the wood processors

call about "Sun" regenerative valve
Hydra-Power Systems, Inc.
5445 NE 122nd Avenue
P.O. Box 20549
Portland, OR 97230
ph# (503) 777-3361
www.hydrapowersystems.com

When I get some free time (hopefully soon!), I will definitely call Sun.

But there is a very definite taste in the mouth after watching the "diesel tech" next to me day in and day out trying to substantiate "warranty repairs" done after customers insist their modified Ford diesels with chips and what-not don't void factory warranty....

So "somebody" says you can get way more power AND get better fuel economy at the same time?!?!?! Dumping more fuel while consuming less?!?!?!

Sorry...my cynical day in and day out self is crying fowl...BUT, I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of hydraulics, and I hope this whole "regeneration" concept isn't some deisel owners idea of infiltratrating the hydraulic world.

Mr Akkamaan, I apologize for my snide remarks about your suggestion. My negative energy was caused by/directed towards way unrelated things. Please forgive me.

As far as the slip-on 4-way from Northern is concerned, I noticed the wings were sharpened on both sides. And since it would be mounted on the ram, I'm wondering if it will apply enough downforce to pinch splits between wing and the slider over the beam. And with the slip-on in place, I wouldn't be able to retract the cylinder into the "cage" that knocks off stuck pieces.

The 4 inch cylinder with 4 way from Northern is sharpened only on the top to prevent binding as much as possible.

Maybe yes? Maybe no?

hmmmmm.....

Maybe, IF money allows, perhaps the faster smaller cylinder for most of it, and leave a pile of the tough stuff for later with the big boy cylinder....but then again, as this site has taught me, the more times you have to touch a piece of wood or equipment, moving things around etc, the more you're costing time and energy and money.

I have the 4 way wedge that just drops on to the sliding wedge, and it is the best 80 bucks I have ever spent. Pops right off for the tough crotches, and back on again for the rest of it. It really does speed your splitting time up, and I cant imagine not having it.
One side note, if your wedge is on the ram, it does cause some twisting to the slider, hence more wear on the beam.My splitter has replaceable guides made out of mild steel, and these take the majority of wear. I made some replacements out of 3/4 inch square bar instead of buying from the manufacturer, and this fall I had to run a bead of weld down each side of the beam that has gotten wore off. Not a big deal at all, considering all the wood that has gone over this splitter in the past 3 years.
I was asked the question if I have any problem with pieces getting stuck under the four way wings, between the wings and the beam.The answer is no.
The four way slides up and down the sliding wedge at will, so anything that might want to jam simply pushes the four way up the sliding ram wedge. Rarely will it push the four way up far enough to come off the wedge though.if it does I just continue the split and pull the four way out of the wood and back on to the wedge it goes.

Ahhh, didn't even think about the 4-way rising to prevent pinch.

Thanks for the input guys, cheaper, stronger, and more versatile to keep 5" cyl with slip-on.

Now to scrounge up $80!

Latest posts

Back