Another successful season in the history books...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just sitting here thinking that we just completed another successful wood heating season, no problems, plenty of well-seasoned wood, and have been cutting and splitting next Winter's supply from wood that I got last year as well as some new stuff. I know that it is stating the obvious to the "veteran" woodburners, but if you're new or newer to wood heat PLEASE NOTE that NOW is when you should be out there working on your woodpile as you will be SO THANKFUL in October when you light up again. I know that it is very tempting to go fishing, boating or just get out for a walk because it is so nice out, and it is-but also get to workin' on those splits NOW and you'll love your woodburning experience even more for it come Fall...

"I'm PA. Woodsman and I approve this message...." :clap::greenchainsaw:

I'm not closing the book just yet. 28° at 7 AM here. Besides, I've got a couple small stacks to burn up so I can get some landscaping done.

Good advice on getting that wood seasoning! I'm headed back out to play with the toys shortly. I've got 8 cords stacked already for next year (about average annual use), but I'm still shooting for 16-20 to be on the 2 year ahead plan. Might be doable if it doesn't get too hot too fast.

Well, I wouldn't quite put the season in the history books here, but the recent days of 60+ degrees have made it so the stove gets started at 8 pm, loaded up at bed and run out overnight.

The good news is I have enough wood left to get through next winter (burned 4 to 4.5 cords, have another 5 or so in reserve), so now it's time to work on 2011-2012 wood. I think the standing dead I have on my 3 acres will get me well on my way there, and some friends and neighbors with lots of blowdown should make the piles bigger than ever!

but if you're new or newer to wood heat PLEASE NOTE that NOW is when you should be out there working on your woodpile as you will be SO THANKFUL in October when you light up again. I know that it is very tempting to go fishing, boating or just get out for a walk because it is so nice out, and it is-but also get to workin' on those splits NOW and you'll love your woodburning experience even more for it come Fall...

"I'm PA. Woodsman and I approve this message...." :clap::greenchainsaw:

:agree2:I 've got a close friend who has just been burning wood for a couple of winters now.I'm going to make him read this.Anytime his is at my house in winter he always remarks"My stove wont put out heat like yours" he generally waits to fall to start on his winters wood supply.

I would guess we have around 1-1/2+ full cords of seasoned soft maple to burn yet this season and maybe a face cord (1/3 cord) of birch.

We have around 2-1/2+/- of elm that was split/stacked last fall.

We had good weather for a couple of days this week so hubby & I started splitting up the locust and still have to get to the hard maple which together should equal another 1-3/4 full cord or so for next year.

Hubby says we don't need more wood - I disagree.

Seasoning ending? First day of Spring? - It's snowing right now.

Shari

This weather is kind of fooling us though, isn't it? Yesterday seemed more like mid-April than mid-March.

I think we've got more than a few chilly/damp nights ahead of us. Remember those "still burning?" threads from the last two years when we were burning in May?

But I'm with everybody else on the production end. Cut up another truckload yesterday. Logger/customer/buddy of mine has a jobsite not far from here, and invited me to come and cut up as much wood as I want. Some nice variety too. Last week got a load of hard maple, yesterday got a load of shagbark hickory. Just can't pass this stuff up. My Saturday afternoons are all set for the next 6-8 weeks!!

Way to early to hang it up

It is 26 degrees here this morning and the overnight low's for the next five days are the low 30's. Just to unpredictable this time of the year, but on the bright side I do have more wood left over than I did last year and getting enough cut for 2010-11 heating season. Hopefully I can continue cutting were I have been and get enough of a jump start for the 2011-12 season.

Beefie

Depends on where you live!

I guess I forgot that it depends on where you live as to how long you will be burning lol....yesterday we had soccer practice from 10-12 under sunny skies and 70% weather. But I know that it won't stay that way, and we will have a few more fires going, but for me it's basically over until October. But some of you guys will be going for awhile yet as you've stated. But either way, the majority of the heating season is over-at least here in my neck of the woods.

Got out there after practice and split the rest of my stock for next Winter, so I'm good to go. Now it's on to wood to sell.

Split now. Stay ahead of the game. Enjoy hassle-free woodburning.

Latest posts

Back