Another top cut up today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sany1320-jpg.352403

Goodness gracious SS, don't ever put you saw there. It only takes a second to forget. I crushed a water jug like that Gott on your tailgate when we were baling hay. Lest it be a Stihl? (please no.)

sany1320-jpg.352403

Goodness gracious SS, don't ever put you saw there. It only takes a second to forget. I crushed a water jug like that Gott on your tailgate when we were baling hay. Lest it be a Stihl? (please no.)
I stuck it under there when I was loading, it started to rain and I didn't want it to get wet.

I know this is an old thread but the place where I was cutting the tops had a bad storm the other day, I went over there today and found the mess. I figured a couple would be blowed over but nothing like this. Most of these oaks are three feet across. I didn't get a pic of all of them but you get the idea.SANY1391.JPG SANY1392.JPG SANY1393.JPG SANY1394.JPG SANY1395.JPG SANY1394.JPG

Looks like plenty of oak to keep you busy for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A *true* windfall! Every boy needs a hobby, looks like you just got a bunch, delivered!

Watch them stupid rootballs. I have started propping them up with stout logs before I start cutting on the tree (whenever there is one I need to cut up).

I've cut a bunch of em up like that, I always start at the limbs and work back. That way if it is going back up I can see it while taking off chunks and get ready to move back.

I get a kick out of them going back up and squirting water for a 100 yards. I can already see that some of them are going to come back up. This is the second storm that's hit this same stretch of woods.

I made a thread about it years ago, but the hack killed all the pics I posted in it. It looks to be about the same amount of trees down. These probably wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been logged, very poorly I might add. These guys were not very good. I'll see if I can still find a pic of their stumps.

I've cut a bunch of em up like that, I always start at the limbs and work back. That way if it is going back up I can see it while taking off chunks and get ready to move back.

I get a kick out of them going back up and squirting water for a 100 yards. I can already see that some of them are going to come back up. This is the second storm that's hit this same stretch of woods.

I made a thread about it years ago, but the hack killed all the pics I posted in it. It looks to be about the same amount of trees down. These probably wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been logged, very poorly I might add. These guys were not very good. I'll see if I can still find a pic of their stumps.
me thinks a couple of those trees have some good lumber in them.......

That's some serious timber there. If you've got drive up access I would be tempted to sell some of those saw logs. Could be several years worth of propane $$ or a few new saws.

I incline to starting as many cuts as possible, like when the stem has risen a bit, working toward the roots. Then release the roots. Keeps the cut as clean as possible. If any part is under compression up top, I just drive some wedges as I go. (I carry lots of wedges.)

Well I went a cut one of the tree blowned down. Got three loads out of the tree. the last five chunks were hollow. It was very hot, I started feeling it about one o'clock. Got back to the house on the second load and it was 97. I waited till later to go get the third one. First load here.SANY1436.JPG

Back