Another tree id please

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would you consider those leaves a double tooth edge or a single tooth edge? birch is double tooth and cherry is single tooth I think

I would guess elm, probably slippery elm if it's a smallish tree. Look around, you will probably see more of same in the area. Lotta times you'll see elms standing dead, no bark, here and there in the woods of NJ, especially roadside. Splitting elm by hand can be a chore and some of them have an 'aroma'. JinNJ

Choke Cherry maybe?
Usually more of a shrub than a tree.
Any tiny apples on it? that is an easy way to id choke.
They change to red tiny apples in Oct.

I have one growing in my backyard that is almost tree size and has got to be 100 years old.
Choke cherry is a slow growing beast with very high btu wood if you can get past the sharp thorns.

At first glance I would have said elm something from the leaf pattern but the bark is fruitwood something, buckthorn, chokecherry, wild cherry etc.

Might be a fruit tree with elm leaves LOL

Ok I went and did the taste/smell test. Doesn't smell or taste sweet and doesn't smell or taste like wintergreen. The tree now looks like a beaver had its way with it and my stomach is hurting bad.

Woody,

Who said to taste it?
Drink as much water as you can until it comes out your eyes.
Either you will puke it out fast or the water will flush your system quick.
Lots of highly poison things in the forest, smelling is generally ok but never taste anything your not 100% sure about.

They assured me it was safe and I didn't have breakfast so I might have tasted a little too much:eek:

FYI, slippery elm bark extract is the active ingredient for 'natural' expecterants[induces coughing, brings up mucous in the lungs]. The inner bark is slimey. If that's what you have, dunno if I'd be tasting it...just sayin...
JinNJ

A few of the wild fruiting trees have nasty toxins in the leaves.
Lots of water and flush your system, on a unidentified anything be careful about tasting any part of it.

FYI, slippery elm bark extract is the active ingredient for 'natural' expecterants[induces coughing, brings up mucous in the lungs]. The inner bark is slimey. If that's what you have, dunno if I'd be tasting it...just sayin...
JinNJ
Yeah I saw they make like a tea out of it right?

Yep! Also, chewed on the inner bark to reduce thirst...yuck! When men were men and the sheep were apparently more attractive.
When/if you cut it, if you look at a clean cross-section[shave with a sharp blade/look with a 5X loop] and the pores will be 'wavy', that's a positive ID for elm.
JinNJ

Back