Another tree id please

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think it is some kind of Elm.
When you go to split it..... Then you will know if it is Elm or not.

David

djones,

Dito... now I see the cut log and under leaf clear it's hornbeam.
Bet that little log is 100+ years old.
Must have been a good summer 18 years ago and 23 years ago LOL
About as good as firewood gets.

What Djones said!! Which is in Birch family Wolf:) you were closer than I

Hop hornbeam

Classification:

Family: Betulaceae, birch family
Genus, species: Ostrya virginiana

Leaves:
Leaves are oblong, ovate. Leaf edges are doubly-toothed. Leaf veins branch several times between center and edge of leaf. Leaves look similar to leaves of ironwood.

Bark:
Bark is scaly, rough, becomes more shredded on older trees. Also known as "catscratch" because bark looks like a cat scratching post. Ironwood, in comparison, has smooth bark.

Flowers:
Male and female flowers are separate but on same tree (monoecious). Male flowers are greenish, 2 to 4 inches long, hang in narrow cylindrical clusters. Female flowers are reddish-green, 1 to 2 inches long, hang in narrow clusters. Flowers are produced before leaves emerge.

Fruit:
Fruits are brown hanging clusters. Each fruit is composed of multiple flat papery sacs.

Seeds:
Seeds are nutlets, enclosed within brown papery sacs.

More Information:

The common name, hop hornbeam, refers to the resemblance of the tree's fruit to hops. The genus name Ostrya is from the Greek for "hard," referring to the hard wood of the tree. The species name, virginiana, literally means "from Virginia."

Photos:

What Djones said!! Which is in Birch family Wolf:) you were closer than I

Hop hornbeam

Classification:

Family: Betulaceae, birch family
Genus, species: Ostrya virginiana

Leaves:
Leaves are oblong, ovate. Leaf edges are doubly-toothed. Leaf veins branch several times between center and edge of leaf. Leaves look similar to leaves of ironwood.

Bark:
Bark is scaly, rough, becomes more shredded on older trees. Also known as "catscratch" because bark looks like a cat scratching post. Ironwood, in comparison, has smooth bark.

Flowers:
Male and female flowers are separate but on same tree (monoecious). Male flowers are greenish, 2 to 4 inches long, hang in narrow cylindrical clusters. Female flowers are reddish-green, 1 to 2 inches long, hang in narrow clusters. Flowers are produced before leaves emerge.

Fruit:
Fruits are brown hanging clusters. Each fruit is composed of multiple flat papery sacs.

Seeds:
Seeds are nutlets, enclosed within brown papery sacs.

More Information:

The common name, hop hornbeam, refers to the resemblance of the tree's fruit to hops. The genus name Ostrya is from the Greek for "hard," referring to the hard wood of the tree. The species name, virginiana, literally means "from Virginia."

Photos:
Still could be a Birch like Black maybe.

Sure does look like hop hornbeam. Not sure how you guys identify these trees from a few pictures. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will be asking for more id's. :D

The bark from tree to tree is so frustratingly different in pictures

Leaves like hornbeam or slippery elm bark not so much but a bit like birch until bark. My guess is hornbeam but I have many in my bottom the bark changes as it gets very old take a picture further up the stem!

I with lone wolf, a log that big if it were Hornbeam would have many more rings, and besides I've seen bark that is shreddy even in a 4 inch diameter tree.

blacklocst,

It's actually a pretty small tree.
If you look at part of the leaf on the log it's only 2 or 3 x the leaf width.
23 rings at about the 1/3 way in.
3 X 23 and 6 years of very small sapling makes it about 75 + years old.

I see lots of hops in the woods and just keep walking unless it's messed up, already down or dead.
Seems almost a sin to cut them down after 100s to multiple 100s of years of such slow growth.

Woody harrelson,

Yeppers sometimes it all comes down to clearness on a picture to ID it quick.
Good clear leaves and end grain of a cut log and someone is sure to ID it pretty quick.

Tree to tree can also be difficult, 2 hornbeams under different climates or conditions can be very different looking and that makes it all the more fun to ID them :)

Latest posts

Back